Premium

Country

US

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Recent update 2021-7 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 version 20H2 for x64 base system(7-16-2021), has affected my ability to use the Spotify App on my PC.  It worked right before that with the update that installed 4 days prior.  I do not have the option to return to the previous version, as it says "your PC was updated more than 10 days ago", which makes no sense lol. Anyway, I get "this content is not available" error message when I click on a song, and all the tracks are grayed out.  I've uninstalled then reinstalled, restarted my PC and opened the app, nothing, and I've also uninstalled, restarted my PC then reinstalled, it fixes nothing.  I do notice that my PC now says "no internet access" under network, but I do actually have internet access. The only thing that isn't working is Spotify. This is not the first update that's caused this issue, and some of the updates fix it until the next update installs...it's rather annoying, and I'm hoping I'm not alone in this.  Not to say I want others to have this irritating problem lol, but hopeful someone has advice on how to fix it, short of doing a full Windows reinstall[last resort].  See ss for reference.

AsJJnTMWl4.png
Spotify_sI0QLc6eb4.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Spotify's support is just having a laugh, keeping you folks busy.

The fact that the Windows Store claims to be offline is the tell-tale here for the OP. The Network Location Awareness service was **bleep** up by the Windows update. I had the same issue. I fixed it by uninstalling the network interface in Device Manager and then rebooting so Windows could reinstall it. 

For Rocklin6977 the same may help you but without knowing for sure that it's nlasvc to blame your mileage may vary.

View solution in original post

14 Replies

Just wanted to add, I have been using Spotify on my desktop for almost 2 years now, and this on and off problem didn't start until some update back in April of this year.

Hi @Veedubs79,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for posting.

We understand you already reinstalled the app, so this time please try with a clean reinstall. This one is more thorough than a regular one and can be helpful to get rid of any cache that might be causing trouble. 

Also, clear the Hosts file on your PC. You can find the steps here

Lastly, please send us a screenshot showing the status of your PC's internet connection, since this might be an issue too.

We'll be on the lookout.

Maria_BModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“The music is not in the notes, but in the silence in between.” – Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Hello, 

Thank you so much for your response. 

So, I followed the steps and when I got to step 10, I found an old Spotify folder from January, but was unable to delete it.  I even had my husband, an actual IT guy, try and we could not get rid of it. Regardless, I moved onto the next step, and the Windows App Store also thinks I don't have internet due to my Network thinking I have no internet access.  Looks like I may have to go with my last resort and reinstall Windows itself.  I've attached screenshots to show the errors I see.  I did include a ss with the original post of my Network showing it has no internet access, and also on the one attached to this response.  Just want to reiterate, only Spotify and now Windows App store, think I have no internet access, everything else is fine.

explorer_fSTeIiBpilb.png
kLgqyjz8ow.png

I forgot to mention, there is nothing in that folder, or in the folder within that folder.  Also, you'll see in the bottom right corner of the second ss, the little globe with the 🚫 sign for Network, no internet.

Hey @Veedubs79,

Thanks for the screenshots and the info 🙂

If possible, could you try with another network? You can try creating a Mobile hotspot and then you can connect your PC to it.

If nothing changes, it's also a good idea to try installing the app in safe mode to see if that makes a difference.

Let us know how it goes.

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thanks for the tips!  we're going to try the safe mode install tomorrow and see how that goes. 🙂 

Hey @Veedubs79,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Let us know how it goes after running the app in safe mode. 

If you have questions, you know where to find us.

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Sorry for ghosting, been 'lazy' and haven't tried the 'safe mode' setup yet, but Good News!! Woke up to a Windows Update a couple of days ago that seems to have fixed my problem [for now] We'll see if it lasts through the next update, lol. Thank you all for the tips and tricks, I appreciate them all. 🙂 

The latest update in my Spotify App just self-installed 10 minutes ago, and now I have exactly the same problem:

1) All the tracks are grayed out, no matter where I navigate to.

2) "This content is not available" error message when I click on a song.

Only difference is that I'm running W7, not W10. 

Marked as solution

Spotify's support is just having a laugh, keeping you folks busy.

The fact that the Windows Store claims to be offline is the tell-tale here for the OP. The Network Location Awareness service was **bleep** up by the Windows update. I had the same issue. I fixed it by uninstalling the network interface in Device Manager and then rebooting so Windows could reinstall it. 

For Rocklin6977 the same may help you but without knowing for sure that it's nlasvc to blame your mileage may vary.

It seems to have self-resolved.

I'm running the software firewall Zone Alarm, and each time Spotify installs itself, ZA pops-up a bunch (maybe 5?) of small alarms in my tray, saying some "new" application is trying to connect to the internet, do I want to allow it?

I habitually just grant the perms as Spotify installs. For some reason, one of the perms was delayed, either by Spotify or ZA. I've had Spotify (the app) off since it refused to play anything, and have been using the web player . . . just not been in the mood to do the "take two aspirin and re-install your software" routine.

Anyway, just out of curiosity, I just booted up the app . . . it started, and ZA asked for one final perm. I granted it and Spotty seems just fine. 

I was able to use Spotify for a while after a Windows Update in August. Had a Windows update on 10/15/2021, back to the same problem.

YAY!!! It Worked! 😁

YAY!!! It Worked! 😁

Suggested posts