Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Release Notes - Spotify for Desktop (0.9.0.133)

Release Notes - Spotify for Desktop (0.9.0.133)

What's new in this version (0.9.0.133):

• Fixed internal issues that were causing interruptions these last couple of days

More information

The last couple of days our service has seen some unexpected interruptions. This release should alleviate most of it not all of those issues.

If you experience any issues after updating to this version please reply here and provide as much detail as possible.

And should you need help figuring out what "much detail" could mean (you're not alone in this) then please have a look at the troubleshooting guides at the top of the desktop help forum.

Community Ergo Sum
95 Replies

Tried to install latest update tonight and got a virus warning from AVG  , Unknown virus Win32/DH(ICVti4)  .  Time to call a real spotify tech person if there are any.... I hate the new spotify program. IT DON'T WORK as good as what we had in 8.5.

"Forcing the update was no error in itself"

I don't understand this way of thinking.  Sure I understand not wanting to have to support mulitple version of a piece of software. I've been testing software way too long to not understand that.

What I don't get is why the company would intentionally try to force an update of software that functions worse than the previous version, time and time again.  I've worked on a lot of projects in my time involving many different products at two different companies.  At no time whatsoever did anyone want to push out a version that was worse than what customers were currently using. Our goal was always to give the user a postiive experience from one release to the next.

Yet in my short time as a Spotify user, I keep seeing versions that are worse than the previous version.  Why are things so different at your company?

"What I don't get is why the company would intentionally try to force an update of software that functions worse than the previous version"

AFAIK only .133 was actually forced and it installed without asking. And it works (marginally) better than .129

Ok perhaps I should have reworded and said "worse than previous versions" to use the plural form.

I have no doubt they are going to go back to forcing the update since it was indeed intentional. It makes no sense from a user-experience perspective to force an update that is very noticeably worse than previous versionS.

I don't know. Maybe in my many years of software testing, the companies I've worked for just did things wrong? Perhaps we should have forced users to be unhappy?  Maybe that's the new business model.

/sigh

Giving up on  the .133 update.  Waiting for an update that  actually works. And I feel about ready to pull the plug. Bad programming, no excuses.

@1houndgal wrote:

Giving up on  the .133 update.  Waiting for an update that  actually works. And I feel about ready to pull the plug. Bad programming, no excuses.

Not just bad programming, but bad UI decisions, bad unit testing, bad management. All of it. Not sure what happened after 8.5 but it's been nothing but a **bleep** show ever since.

Please, I want to install the latest version of Spotify on Debian Wheezy x64 and it does not work.
Error message like "broken dependencies".
A solution?

@Richard_28 wrote:

Please, I want to install the latest version of Spotify on Debian Wheezy x64 and it does not work.
Error message like "broken dependencies".
A solution?

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

It would appear this is due to Spotify needing libssl0.9.8 which is no longer available on the latest Debian release. 

There is a topic about it (scroll down for the recent comments) here

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Peter thank you for that answer.
I am French and I speak very little English, so I am using Google translation.
So I applied the method MutantTurkey by simply downloading the "libssl0.9.8" file and "right click" and "Open the installer package GDebi"
Everything works for now.
Will it be possible eventually to include "libssl1.0.0" in the stable version of Spotify to avoid this manipulation?
thank you again

I don't actually work for Spotify, however I know it is being worked on as its been mentioned here on the community by the linux team a few times. Since libssl0.9.8 and libssl1.0.0 are binary incompatible, I am guessing the internals of the Spotify client need to go through some changes. Hopefully it can be addressesed in the future!

Peter

Peter

I hope so, because the GNU / Linux world is in my opinion just as important as other operating systems.
Then, tastes, colors, everyone can find what they want in these systems 😉

Spotify still takes 3 minutes to start and play the first song.  It takes longer it actually calms down and runs properly.  

Every launch the working set memory actually goes up to about 1,100K (yes over a GB of memory).  When the program finally releases all of that memory, the working set  drops down to 576MB and spotify works great from then on.  That's about 4 minutes into the startup process..

Info about my setup:

Spotify for Desktop 0.9.0.133gd18ed589

Spotify Premium service

Adobe Flash Player 11.7.700.202  

Windows 7, 64bit, 6 core CPU (For kicks I tried setting the affinity to just one processor and it didn't help)

8GB RAM

Multiple high quality graphics cards installed. It doesn't matter which card/monitor I am running spotifiy on.

High quality Streaming turned off for now.

Running as an admin

Caching using the local C: drive. there was 188MB there. (I've just deleted it and that made no difference)

I've been a paying customer for 3+ years now.

Spotify has become a pain in the arse to use. Slow, buggy and clunky.

This is a typicial sceenshot:

spotify.png

You've become iTunes. Packed with so much **bleep**e that the core service has suffered.

I just want to play music. That's all.

Some cool innovations however. I love the click and hold to preview for example.

I want to be loyal but its become a headache to use. I'd jump to Rdio in a heartbeat if it wasn't for the poor catalog in the UK.

The desktop client used to be so fast. I miss those days.

v0.9.1 is reported to solve a lot of performance issues, especially on Mac OS X. It should make it out to you shortly if you haven't been updated already. 

Peter

Peter

EVERYONE COMPLAINING LISTEN UP. 

If you see how much effort these people put in to giving you all music you wouldn't be complaining. They're just doing their best and believe me programming is hard af. If you all hate it so much, go buy your music from Itunes. I know you're trying to help the people improve the program but a billion customers lashing out at them 24/7 doesn't help at all. 

Don't call them arrogant, don't call them other stuff. They don't do things just to go out and make you all angry do they?

I agree...am pretty much done with Spotify Premium. Why pay the price without having access to all features. They continue disregarding those who are stuck in the Groundhog Day of update revisons...and are NOT LISTENING to us. :o/

Suggested posts