Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Release Notes - Spotify for Desktop 0.9.0

Release Notes - Spotify for Desktop 0.9.0

What's new in this version (0.9.0):

• New: Now available in Traditional Chinese and Latin American Spanish.
  • New: Say hello to our new logo.
  • New: Some smart architectural changes that will allow us to ship improvements faster and with fewer pesky bugs.
  • New: Added some extra space to accommodate for Chinese characters
  • New: Enlarged some fonts to accommodate for Chinese characters
  • Fixed: We’ve dealt with a bug that caused cache issues between restarts. Get ready for much faster start-up times.
  • Fixed: Now you can see what you’re listening to by clicking anywhere on the now playing bar.
  • Fixed: Free users - ads won’t bring Spotify to the front any more.
  • Fictitious: This app has an extensive collection of hotel toiletries.

Known issues:

• "Added" date is missing in some views
  • Removed option to "View as album covers"

Of note: we've started rolling out this update to users in segments. If you're not yet being prompted to update your Spotify app please remain calm and keep your arms and legs inside the ride at all times; you should get the update soon!

We have also posted an update with some of the changes that we're making, based on your feedback.

If you have additional suggestions please make sure to check our Spotify Ideas section. Many suggestions have already been made and could use your vote.

Community Ergo Sum
87 Replies

I am missing the following in the release Notes:

• "View as album list" has been removed! Why, that was a great feature! Now it is even more complicated/annoying to organise albums.
  • The font in the playlist got bigger! To big in my opinion!

Some other things missing from this changelog:

• Added new cache issue: Music file locations are no longer remembered between sessions. (discussed here)
  • Grid view and song numbers are removed.
  • Added extra padding to song titles in the playlist view.
  • "View as album covers" in the View menu has been removed. (Submitted by Peter)
  • Added date for the library list has been reset.

Some of these issues are causing real problems for daily use (offline files being deleted at every startup, due to the file locations being reset), and some are simply inconvenient (having to scroll more due to the odd padding on song titles).

Is there an official way to download an older version?

@RC-1290: No, there is no official way. Here are links for all platforms.

Changelog is good. I hope we don't have to ask for it the next time. As someone is going to as anyway, there is no need to wait.

SpotCommander - The most elegant, intuitive, feature-rich & universal remote control for Spotify, exclusive for Linux users!

You'll find a list of everything that's changed in the app in our release notes hereAnd we'll be keeping the following post updated with the changes we're making, along with where you can give us further feedback.

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Give-us-your-feedback-0-9-0/td-p/366422

As always, we'd love to hear what you think.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

How long will it take for the update to reach everyone? I don't think I'm on it yet.

Rorey,

@RC-1290's post mentions two more functions that have been removed.

Why weren't these mentioned in the release notes and what is the reason behind their removal?

@RC-1290 wrote:

Some other things missing from this changelog:

1. Added new cache issue: Music file locations are no longer remembered between sessions. (discussed here)
  2. Grid view and song numbers are removed.
  3. Added extra padding to song titles in the playlist view.
  4. "View as album covers" in the View menu has been removed. (Submitted by Peter)
  5. Added date for the library list has been reset.

1. This is a bug
  2. We're not sure what you mean
  3. This, along with the bigger font, is to accommodate for the newly added language: Simplified Chinese. Those darn characters just needed a bit more space 🙂
  4. I need to find out more
  5. This would appear to also be a bug
Community Ergo Sum

I love how fast Spotify starts up now! Takes 2 sec when it used to take 45 sec

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

------------------
Per Wrote:

1. This is a bug
  2. We're not sure what you mean
  3. This, along with the bigger font, is to accommodate for the newly added language: Simplified Chinese. Those darn characters just needed a bit more space 🙂
  4. I need to find out more
  5. This would appear to also be a bug

--------------------

1. 😞 I can imagine this one is trickier to test automatically because it requires a restart, and only causes problems with non-default settings.
2. You're absolutely right. I don't know why I remember album view being called grid view. This seems to be a duplicate of point 4 😉

3. Row height is not relative to the total line height? I would prefer rows that require bigger characters to add height to their own row. In stead of adding padding to all rows. Perhaps it is a bit egocentric, but only 3 out of 4686 tracks I have in playlists use non-western characters, so I prefer those 3 songs breaking the layout a bit, over losing usable screenspace, and significantly increase the amount of scrolling I have to do.

4. Album view added a track number column, and small previews of the album art in the playlist. I believe it was bound to ctrl + G. I used it for every playlist where track numbers mattered. I believe it is referred to as MainlistAlbumView.

5. 😞 Does it have a latin name yet?

When you release the version 0.9.0 for Linux? 🙂

Per,

It's good that you've now updated the release notes explaining that it is support for Chinese characters that resulted in the extra space being taken up and the use of a larger font. It's also good that you've added the section about known issues. It's just a shame that these things needed to be pointed out to you by end users and didn't come from the developers. What other things have they removed that they are not telling us about I wonder?

I am assuming that the two items in the Know issues list are being treated as bugs and will return in a future release?

Main complaint:

"View as album list" has been removed!    

Why?

To quote a previous comment:   "Now it is even more complicated/annoying to organize albums."

@SteveBrammer wrote:

Per,

It's just a shame that these things needed to be pointed out to you by end users and didn't come from the developers. What other things have they removed that they are not telling us about I wonder?

I'm tempted to suggest giving us respository access so we can get more accurate and more detailed update information ^^.

Hopefully we can have only the chinese version in the larger font in the future. Why isn't this here yet and that there and bla bla bla... You know what we want.

Even if Ctrl+F, amongst others, isn't here yet I must shout an honest THANK YOU for providing release notes and communicating about the fonts and so on. That is the right direction; just keep going. Judging from this and very much also the wording and the links provided in Richard's ending post of the "horrible update"-thread (http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Horrible-update-0-8-8/m-p/366414/highligh... I can see initiative and that you are trying. It gives some hope. I am crossing my fingers people give the numbers you (may) need to influence the development.

@romat73 wrote:

Main complaint:

"View as album list" has been removed!    

Why?

To quote a previous comment:   "Now it is even more complicated/annoying to organize albums."

I second that question. It seems that every time spotify has an update some functionality is taken away. This is the reverse of a wise course of action. You should be adding functionality, or at least leaving us with the same. I have been a premium member of spotify for some years and always found it an excellent product, but you are rapidly losing the good will of your paying customers. Do something about it.

Another (minor) point that's missing from changelog:

Faded Pause!

When you click pause, the song doesn't stop abruptly now but slightly fades out. I like it!

Oh and really important:

This version fixed the shuffle artist catalogue bug - which let you only shuffle an album on artist page instead of through the whole catalogue!

The speedy start up is missing from the Mac client and I can see that several others have the same problem. Is there a known way to fix this?

Updated to 0.9.0 and started Spotify 6 times. 

Force quit 6 times too. 

Non-functional. DOA.

So glad I canceled my 2 subscriptions. 

Best way to fix it?

Cancel your subscription. 

Check out MOG and even Slacker. At least they work! Also, wait for Apple's Radio to come out this summer. 

I understand your frustration. Try a hard reinstall.

Suggested posts