Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Release Radar Duplicate songs from week to week

Release Radar Duplicate songs from week to week

Each week I keep getting the same songs in my release radar. Literally the same songs. 

I have thousands of artists in my library and I am following 412 artists. I'm not sure if following is the right criteria. If I put an artist in one of my own playlists I wouldn't mind hearing a new song from them. 

Thank you! 

15 Replies

Hey there @MichaelTapp

Thanks for reaching out to the Community about this. 

If you noticed the Release Radar keeps on offering you the same songs every week it's possible that you need to start afresh with the Spotify app on your device. The best way to do this is by running a clean (more thorough) reinstall of the app. Check out this help page in order to find the steps for clean reinstall depending on the affected device.

Tip: Once you’ve performed the clean reinstall you'll need to re-download your offline music and podcasts. 

In case the clean reinstall doesn't help with the issue, try logging in with a different Spotify account on your device to check if it's an account-related issue. If it works with another account, you can follow the steps in this Spotify Answer next. 

Let us know how you get on! We'll be here in case you need any further help with this.  

Ivan, thank you for the thoughtful and thorough response. However I am still getting dupes on desktop and mobile. It's very disappointing because I know artists I love are releasing music that I am not even aware of.

A year has passed and the problem still persists 😥 I had the same set of tracks on Release Radar for two consecutive weeks, then marked 3 tracks as unwanted. Today there is a new Release Radar: 3 new tracks and 27 repetitions from a week and two weeks ago.

Hi there @TomaszP123,

Thank you for your reply in this thread.

Can you confirm if you followed the steps that @Ivan provided in his answer?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I've been bothered by this same problem for years.

I exclusively use this feature on desktop app: every week I add the whole content of "Release Radar" into a personal playlist, mixed with songs from other sources, for me to listen when I'm working.

Every week the "Release Radar" playlist includes songs that were already in that playlist a week ago: if a want to add the whole playlist in my personal playlist, I get a pop-up message "Already added. This is already in your playlist".
Even worse: songs that I've listen to and removed from my personal playlist may re-appear in "Release Radar" the next week.

Am I wrong to suppose that the "Release Radar" playlist isn't supposed to include songs that appeared in that playlist in the past, or that I've already listen to ?

I've reinstalled the app on all my devices, it doesn't solve the issue.

Hey @Coli,

Thanks for your posts and apologies that it took us some time to reply.

We'd recommend logging out and then logging back in two times in a row on your phone. It sounds a bit odd, but it forces a sync between the account and your device.

It's also a good idea to expand your music library by following more artists. That way you'll give the algorithm a boost. Keep in mind that it might take up to couple of weeks for the changes to take affect.These playlists update automatically based on your listening activity and they can't be manually updated. What you can do is listen to more music via the Search option and make sure that Private Session is switched off. 

On another note, if you don't want songs that you've previously listened and didn't like - you can try "Hide this song" feature. This way the songs in that list should become rarely suggested with time passing by and also they should be skipped (not played) for you if the correct settings are on.

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

LyubkaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

ok, this issue has been going on for several years now, each week without fail:

out of hundreds of artists i follow, why does release radar still give me duplicate songs each week by the same artists?

why hasn't this been fixed yet? i just cannot fathom why after so long it's still not been sorted.

I have the exact same issue and it has nothing to do with the app. It's the alrogithm that picks out the songs for the release radar since it's device independent. So re-installing the app won't help at all because the playlist is attached to thw account.

Another annoying issue I've noticed is that I get songs of bands with the exact same name I'm listening to but these are completely different bands (e.g. LoFi instead of Metal). I'd assume that spotify would use a unique identifier of the artist but it simply seems to use the name.

I have had this exact issue for about 4 years with Spotify and literally nothing fixes it. It's insane.

This does not fix the problem nor have you conveyed an actual understanding to what our issue is.

This issue was never really described correctly for people to understand, so the problem persists. What Release Radar appears to do is include this weeks' new releases AND the previous weeks' new releases. The first half of the playlist is new and then the second half is what was new last week.

I've gotten used to this issue since I'll get to the halfway point and usually remember that I'd already listened to the song last week. This doesn't work well for people that have it on random though. I think what the users here (myself included) would like is to get rid of the stuff from the previous week and add-on more actually new stuff from the current week.

Here is the trick I use:

I have a "buffer" playlist to handle the duplicates of the Release Radar. Here is how works, to reproduce every week:
- I add the whole content of Release Radar in the buffer, I only add the new songs, not the duplicate ones
- I move the most recent songs (for ex. the ones added more than two months ago) from the buffer to another playlist, the one that I will actually listen to
- I remove from the buffer the songs I've just moved

This way the playlist I listen to includes songs from the Release Radar, and once a song is removed from this playlist, it never reappears.

I've had the same issue for over a year now. This week in particular was very bad.

yes! Exactly. I have been a longtime user of Radar Release, and I feel like it's been particularly bad the past few months. I thought it was maybe because I did not get through all my songs from the prior week, but the past two weeks I have listened to the whole playlist, liked some songs, disliked others, and those same liked songs are appearing the following week. Why is it so hard to fix this issue? 

Suggested posts