Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Save Offline songs to USB

Save Offline songs to USB

I want to save my offline songs to a usb drive so I can use this on my iPad instead of taking up 3GB of space on my iPad.  Is it possible to direct Spotify Premium to save those offline songs to a USB?

11 Replies

Slightly confused, which app are you using that you want to put the songs on a USB?

If it is the desktop client, you can change the cache location where it stores its files in Edit > Preferences > Cache. Just be aware if you change that to a USB drive, that drive must always be present when you start Spotify otherwise it will create a new cache which makes the one on the USB drive completely useless.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

OK  that kinda helps.  As I said, I want to listen OFFLINE on my iPad on long airplane trips and dont want to load up 3-5GB of music on my iPad.  I have an iStick (http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive/iStick/) and I want to load it up (from Spotify via Offline mode) so that I can listen offline to Spotify.

I don't think you can move playlists on iPad onto a USB stick, although I've never really tried myself. I don't think you will be able to access the Spotify files or tell it to save in a specific place.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Something to suggest in the Beta group

There's already a suggestion here: Offline playlists to usb

But the status is CASE CLOSED with the following comment:

"This is simply not possible because on a mobile device the Spotify app has to be installed to listen to Spotify tracks. The reason is: Artists need to get paid for every played song - that's only possible if the song is played "inside" Spotify."

Of course I was going to use Spotify to listen to the tracks. I'm sure Spotify stores the cache for offline in some encrypted form.

I just want to store my offline tracks in a USB. That's it. Seems as though it's not possible. Yet

I know this post is old and the OP may not need the help but hopefully someone will get something out of this post.

Plug in a usb/external SD card to your device

Go to your app settings and delete the Data, Cache and then uninstall the Spotify app

Reinstall the app.

Spotify should now automatically chose your SD Card/USB drive. Spnotify will chose to save wherever has the largest storage available. (I have it working on my android so it can be done) 🙂

Thanks SkyWalker but this procedure won't work on the iPad 

Hi FTBoomer,

Is there a reason why it wouldn't work on an Apple device?
I would have thought if the iPad can take an external usb storage, then
theoretically it should work. Unless of course Apple have ensured that the
app behaves in different way to the Android one. Apologies if that's the
case, I don't own any Apple products to test this out. Thanks for letting
me know.

Spotify doesnt allow me to redirect the cache to the iStick and using your procedure doesn't work either.  Spotify only recognizes the iPad internal storage.

In not a question of artist not been paid but us who paid Spotify to be able so listen off line

What an aggresive post!!!

Suggested posts