Saved Songs Becoming Obsolete Versions of the Same Song

Highlighted

Saved Songs Becoming Obsolete Versions of the Same Song

I have a collection of saved songs, like everyone does on Spotify. Every day, I log on to Spotify and start listening, and each day may main playlist queues some songs to download. Each day, a few new songs undergo this problem. The saved song I have in my playlist is no-longer the song that each artist has on their page and it instead the same song stored in a weird phantom album that doesn't appear anywhere other than through the song saved in my playlist. Why does this keep happening? I go to an artists pages and see that I don't have songs saved that I thought I did. I save them again and now they appear twice. It might be when an artist re-uploads a song (to change album art or tags on songs), an artists' page recognizes that it's the same song, and the play count continues upwards, so why doesn't my playlist? The only fix is to manually remove the old version of the song (and remove it from any playlist that I have it in) and then re-save and add to the playlists. This is an horrendous issue that is making me consider just leaving Spotify. New music in my discover weekly or daily mixes are just songs that I dont have saved anymore. Is there a fix? Are Spotify planning on fixing this issue?

An example:

spotify:album:0rRNLpdA8nA8Sm8Fk490b9 https://gyazo.com/8f21e24754af80ab0f3191de227082f8

spotify:album:4bud6XY9UtafCOiYzv2vOl https://gyazo.com/e46695db85adba57a97f0ccc60b7f6cb

I use Spotify on my Android 8 phone and on two Windows 10 devices. I run the most up-to-date version of Spotify possible.

2 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Saved Songs Becoming Obsolete Versions of the Same Song

Hallo,

I have the exact same problem as described above. Really annoying.

Fix it Spotify!

Highlighted

Re: Saved Songs Becoming Obsolete Versions of the Same Song

Hello @caVV and @eniff,

Thanks for searching for the answer you need here. We'll gladly share some light on the situation.

The way the app is currently structured, if the same song is uploaded twice, let's say in two different versions of an album, it's recognized as two distinct songs. This has the advantage that if the sound quality was remastered or any changes made between the two releases, users can enjoy them both.

It seems also that some other users feel the way you do and  went ahead and posted this idea requesting the feature to consolidate duplicates. You can add your support there by up-voting the idea. We'll inform on any developments there, as soon  as there are any. So make sure to subscribe, if you haven't already. 

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

MihailModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music is a language that doesn’t speak in particular words. It speaks in emotions, and if it’s in the bones, it’s in the bones.” - Keith Richards
SUGGESTED POSTS