Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Screen not clearing on exit

Solved!

Screen not clearing on exit

Hi,

I'm on Spotify Unlimited vn 1.0.9.133.gcedaee38 on a Windows 7 desktop PC. When I exit Spotify (either using file/exit or the X in the top right corner) it stops the process OK but fails to clear the screen.

I've tried reinstalling but that hasn't resolved it. It's not a major problem as the screen is refreshed when you open another program in full-screen mode but it is a minor niggle that looks like a programming bug.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Press <F5> with the desktop having focus (click somewhere on the desktop where you know there are no icons), and this will cause the entire desktop to "repaint" and you won't have to scrub at anything.

This is still annoying.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

I have the same problem but F5 does not fix this annoying problem. I get the same thing on 3 different computers.

Marked as solution

I've experienced this problems too but only when using Basic and Classic Themes under Windows 7. On Aero themes, this is not existing. Maybe because of Desktop Composition?

27 Replies

I'm on the latest release: 1.0.11.134.ga37df67b

When exiting spotify, it does not clear its "painted window", asking Windows to refresh whatever was underneath.  From the desktop I must press <F5> to do a desktop refresh.

I'm using Windows 7 Pro 64 bit with the latest service packs and updates, dual monitor, nVidia card, 8 gigs ram, gigabyte motherboard, Q6600 processor.

This has been going on for a long time and there seems to be no proper place to submit bug reports.

I have the exact same issue, I quit Spotify but a frozen version of it remains on my screen. If I scrub the entire windows with another apps window or explorer windows it rubs it out. Its starting to get boring now, please help fix the issue.

Marked as solution

Press <F5> with the desktop having focus (click somewhere on the desktop where you know there are no icons), and this will cause the entire desktop to "repaint" and you won't have to scrub at anything.

This is still annoying.

Yeah come on now. This is annoying. A couple of updates haven't fixed this issue.

I realise this could be graphics card/driver related but I'm running official WHQL nVidia drivers and work with 3D applications which are running fine.

I'm not about to start messing with drivers to cure a graphics issue with my music software. 

I have the same issue. Every time i close Spotify, the screen fails to clear. I know its possible to use F5 to refresh, but thats not a permanent solution to this problem. Also, this has been reported almost a year now, and Spotify updates almost once a day - how come this is not fixed?

Any Spotify support personell reading this, or are they too busy counting our money?

::

I updated to Win10 and no issues, I know that doesn't help. I feel your
pain, it started to do my head in. No idea why this issues is not resolved
maybe they figure people will upgrade eventually and the problem will go
away.

Just logged in to say "Me too". I've got an 2010 vintage ASUS laptop running Windows 7. The snap shot of the Spotify window remaining on screen after closing the application has been happening for as long as I can remember having Spotify. I would open another full size window to "clear" it. At least after reading this thread, I've learned that F5 works to refresh the desktop. 

i have the same issue

How pathetic, 14 months later and still the same, and no, saying hitting F5 to refresh is not a solution, its work around. 

Marked as solution

I have the same problem but F5 does not fix this annoying problem. I get the same thing on 3 different computers.

Still not fixed. It's annoying. Spotify, please just fix it instead of waiting another 5 months for it to be too late.

I also have the same issue with Spotify on my Win7 based pc. I uninstalled the buggy program and since Spotify does'nt seem to be coming up with a solution anytime soon I am considering canceling my subscription. There are plenty other streaming software out there.

On my Windows 7 Pro machine and Windows 10 64 Bit machine, it is all working fine now after an update they did.  I don't have to refresh the desktop anymore.

To refresh the desktop, I had to click an area I knew was empty of icons and then press <F5>.  That always worked with Windows to refresh the desktop after an aberrant application had left visible residuals behind.

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

Q6600 processor

nVidia GTS-450 graphics.

8 gig memory.

> 8 TB hard drives.

Windows 10 64 bit laptop

If you've uninstalled completely, it would be good to clear all cache's of Spotify before reinstalling.  Depending on your machine setup you may or may not have access to do so, but do try the following:

1. In Windows Explorer, type in %APPDATA% and press <Enter>

Locate the Spotify folder in the list.

Delete it.  DO NOT DELETE ANYTHING ELSE, not accidentally or otherwise !!!

2. In Windows Explorer, type in %USERNAME%\AppData\Local and press <Enter>

Locate the Spotify folder in the list, if it is there.

Delete it.  Same as above, don't accidentally delete anything else.

3. In Windows Explorer, type in %TEMP% and press <Enter>

Locate anything with Spotify in the name.

Delete it.

4. Restart your machine.

5. Go to the Spotify website and download the latest installer, and be sure to run the installer you just downloaded.

6. To be on the safer side, restart your machine after the Spotify installation completes.

7. Log back into Spotify and test for the issue.

This may clear all kinds of things that are machine dependent such as songs you've downloaded or stored.  Please have backups available.

Also, to simply use the service and perhaps more conveniently depending on the situation, in a web browser you can go to https://play.spotify.com and login there.  A Browser player should be available there and come up in the web browser.  The interface is different but still quite usable.

Same issue, Windows 7. Cleared cache, etc. Come on, Spotify people, plenty of us are still on Windows 7 and aren't upgrading any time soon. We are paying for this. This should not be a hard problem to solve. A competent programmer could resolve this in a couple of hours.

Hello all

I have the same problem and I agree it does niggle, but not as much as the bouncing not as much as the bouncing itunes icon (Mac), I am using 7 prem. and as soon as I close spotify I right click on desktop and refresh.......sorted.

no need to use F5!!!!

hope this helps

William

Rightclicking desktop and refresh, is the same as F5

Same problem here on three different Windows 7 machines. All using classic theme. Could someone please file a bug report on this? Or post your code on git hub and I'll fix it myself.

Suggested posts