Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Search function not working

Solved!

Search function not working

After the latest update of Spotify (1-2 weeks ago) the search function only works from time to time. Works on iPhone but not on laptop with Win 7.

What to do?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

@masterp123 - It's worth reinstalling to see if that makes a difference too:
http://support.spotify.com/learn-more/faq/#!/article/reinstallation-of-spotify

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

My problem was solved by returning my Internet connection setting for the DNS back to the default DNS address for my provider. I had originally changed it to a service that supposedly speeded up Internet searches.

View solution in original post

101 Replies

Could you try a clean reinstallation and let us know if that makes any difference? 

Peter

Been too lazy to do that 🙂

But I logged out and in again and that did the trick this time!

Desktop, Win 7 ,  use Spotify ever couple days.  Today Search and Browse will not work for me.  Everything else works.  I tried logging out and in again.  Still the same problem.

Are they working in the web player for you?

play.spotify.com

Peter

My spotify can't serch too!(last ver)

I logout and login.

But it still can't work!

So I decided deldete last ver and reinstall(old ver)!

My spotify can serch!!:O

Last ver spotify software have problems!

I have been having the same issue. For about a week now. Seems like people have been having this issue since February, and there is still no fix yet? I find this very frustrating, considering I pay monthly, and the browse feature is the real reason for doing so. 

What gives, Spotify? Almost two months and no solution has been provided other than a 'clean uninstall' which I have tried about 5 times now. Seems rather rediculous to me. 

This is unfortunately an issue that we're seeing for a small number of users. We have investigated and attempted to reproduce the issue using the information that you've provided us with. So far, without success.

We'd love to fix this issue once and for all but in order to do that, we need your help! Could you guys tell us which version of Spotify you're using and which operating system you're running. The version can be found in the about box which in turn can be found in the menu. Just clicking it should copy it to the clip board. This information is very useful for us in the process of tracking this (and other) issue (s) down!

If you remember what steps you took just before you noticed the issue, that information would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

It´s working for me

This is really annoying.. I'm using iPhone 7.0.6, and spotify 1.0.0.3251. Every time I try and search I get an error message - hitting try again does nothing. I get a brief message saying I'm offline when I log on, but I can stream and use everything else. Please sort it out!

The search feature is no longer working for me once updating Spotify.  OS: Win 7 SP1 64 bit, Spotify version: 0.9.8.296.g91f68827

I upgraded to the new version last week. The search button only works in the first time after I login. Then it becomes unresponsive. Not what you would expect from a paid service.

Also the new scroll bar for the centre pane is difficult to see and select! It's thin and almost the same color as its surroundings.

@michalisg 

@genomelak wrote:

This is unfortunately an issue that we're seeing for a small number of users. We have investigated and attempted to reproduce the issue using the information that you've provided us with. So far, without success.

We'd love to fix this issue once and for all but in order to do that, we need your help! Could you guys tell us which version of Spotify you're using and which operating system you're running. The version can be found in the about box which in turn can be found in the menu. Just clicking it should copy it to the clip board. This information is very useful for us in the process of tracking this (and other) issue (s) down!

If you remember what steps you took just before you noticed the issue, that information would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I'm using version 0.9.8.296.g91f68827 with Windows XP.  THe seacrh function continues not to work with the new version.  The steps I took before it stopped working was downloading the new version, and that is all.

I'm premium member.  I see the charges every month on my visa.  With whatever upgrade just happened from your end, my search function will not work.  I'm using an Android. Everything else works but search - which is the point of premium.  I can't type anything into the search field.  I only see the blue paste arrow and it will not input text in this field.  It does input text if I try creating a playlist  - but I can't add to this new empty playlist because I can't bring up search!  YES, I have cleared the cache, cleared the data, uninstalled spotify 3 times now on my phone.  

I'm very close to cancelling my spotify membership completely if this issue is not addressed.  

Please help,

R

ps - version on my android says 0.7.9.1170

I'm on Version 0.9.8.296.g91f68827

The problem started after upgrading from the previous version.

My operating system is Windows 7 Enterprise with Service Pack 1

I have version 0.9.8.296.g91f68827. I use windows vista.

I recently installed the "latest" version, the first time I used the search function it didn't work.

This is highly annoying. I pay £9.99 monthly for this service. I expect it to work.

I'm having the same issue, nothing happens when I type in the search box. I'm running OS X Mavericks. I'm using Spotify version 0.9.8.296.g91f68827, which I assume is the most recent since I installed it a few days ago...

Anyway, here is what I know I did before the issue appeared. I was running Spotify using my own (free) account. Everything was working. Then I logged out, and logged in again, this time using my wife's paid account. Now suddenly, the search box is broken. Simply restarting Spotify doesn't work. Havn't tried a complete reinstall yet, but that would obviously not be a solution if I had to repeat the procedure for every time I want to switch between my wife's account and my own.

Incidentally, there is a little workaround which at least got me running. Go to the "Radio" page and create a new station. A new search box appears, and this one works... Once the station is running you can click on the artist name and you'll arrive at the artist page.

Same problem and I am also a premium user. ---> Windows 8. Spotify 0.9.8.296.g91f68827

I can type on the search field but hitting enter will not make any difference at all. It is very, very frustrating. I have quite a lot of playlists to draw from, but without freedom of search for such long time, this is getting ugly.

Suggested posts