Plan

Premium

Country

Sweden

Device

Acer laptop

Operating System

Windows 10

I've been having this problem lately when I search for a song, and when I click on it it won't play. And even if it does play, and I drag it to a playlist, it doesn't show up nor play in said playlist. I've attempted multiple re-installations and reboots, both  from Spotify's website as well as the Windows App Store. It doesn't seem to be tied to whether or not a song is labelled as Explicit either, as the attached image will show.

Then on another note, even if I've approved to show my friends' feed and follow a handfull, they will not show. Even if I unfollow and then follow again. Some help  to solve these issues would be greatly appreciated.

spotify mess.png
2 Replies

Hi @Green369!

Here's a potential solution I found from browsing through other threads that you could look at:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/Desktop-Playlists-empty-after-update/td-p/4679818

Hope this does the trick,

A

@A_Musicophile I found the solution in that thread! Thank you so much, I'll also re-post what helped me fix the issue here, in case someone finds this thread before that one. Again, thank you.

@Smexyskeletor wrote:

I FOUND THE SOLUTION!!!!

It even got my friend's activity tab working, that's been dead for months!

I recommend checking your hosts file for any Spotify-related entries.
The file is capable of redirecting traffic for addresses it contains, so it can break Spotify app when it contains Spotify addresses.

It's easy to check and edit, you'll need admin rights:

1. open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
2. go to File - Open and navigate to

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open.
4. The file is opened. You will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like

0.0.0.0 website.com
127.0.0.1 website2.com

Check for any entries with spotify or fastly in the address. Examples may look like:

0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com
0.0.0.0 prod.b.ssl.us-eu.fastlylb.net 

(and any variations inbetween)
5. If you do find any, you can delete the line. You can also add a # in front of the line, that's 'commenting out'.
6. Save your changes. Restart Spotify.

Suggested posts