Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Show ALL SONGS by an Artist

Show ALL SONGS by an Artist

This problem exists in Windows 10, Premium Version.

Problem:

1) Search for an artist (e.g. Ray Charles)

2) There's no way to view ALL SONGS by that artist.

You can however search based on album, but there's no way in Spotify (that I can see) to show all songs themselves without introducing random artists into the results.

You can also show the top 5 (or click Show More) to show a top 10 of their songs. Ideally I'd like a list of all songs like that.

5 Replies

When searching, you can type inthe following syntax to get only songs with "Ray Charles" in the artist name:

artist:"ray charles"

If you want to exlude other artists that share "Ray Charles" in their name without removing songs by "only ray Charles" you can type the following:

artist:"ray charles" NOT artist:"i'm ray charles" NOT artist:"ray charles singers" NOT artist:"billy ray charles" NOT artist:"ray charles singers" NOT artist:"ray charles & friends" NOT artist:"Maria Lee carta(ray charles)" NOT artist:"cletus charles ray" NOT artist:"ray charles chorus" NOT artist:"X-ray charles" NOT artist:"Raymond charles hanson" NOT artist:"ray charles sextet" NOT artist:"Ray charles ives" NOT artist:"Ray charles levette" NOT artist:"ray charles smith" NOT artist:"ray charles ives" NOT artist:"sheila raye charles" NOT artist:"johnny ray charles" NOT artist:"ray charles trio" NOT artist:"ray charles vs. dio" NOT artist:"el club de ray charles" NOT artist:"walter allen & ray charles" NOT artist:"the ray charles big band" NOT artist:"ray charles vs. freaky loop" NOT artist:"ray charles (down beat 1951)" NOT artist:"bobby dukoff & ray charles chorus" NOT artist:"ray davies" NOT artist:"charles lutterodt" NOT artist:"charles ray hastings jr." NOT artist:"naomi"

Putting in a more terms will yield zero search results, (also, "I'm ray charles" wasn't filtered out with the above).

Here's a playlist with the songs I found using the syntax above with "Ray Charles" as the artist, but with any other variant of "Ray Charles" artist names and combinations removed: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1uOclg2Qz1Gos73qI5SNWt?si=HMGCd66rSNeCvXElomdWHg It obviously contains quite a few duplicates.

There are a few apps which makes a "discography playlist" for artists. One of them is https://skiley.net/?discover , and there's the resulting discography playlist for "ray charles": https://open.spotify.com/playlist/38XHEksEtw5ccnDluhofeb?si=E1TztdFdQv6yPiNw4knUrg

Yeah, this isn't ideal. Whilst searching "artist:"ray charles"" works to some degree (clicking See All), there are duplicates of the same songs (where that song appears on different albums).
I can't believe Spotify haven't got the functionality for you to click an artist's name and just see a list (alphabetical, or by date, or by number of plays) of all of their songs. It's crazy.

Yeah I think it'd be easier to use external websites for getting proper overview, at least for well known artists and/or artists with very common names.

The "discography generators" is also not very helpful for finding songs where artists "feature" or where there are part of other bands etc. without being tagged under "artists" (or with different names).

Preferably it would be possible to search for artists with something like

ONLY ORDERED artist:"X Y Z"

to yield only results with artist:"X Y Z" but not "Y X Z" or "X Y Z A"

Or some sort of GUI button to "Show All Songs by this Artist". Seems strange it's not there.

They have it in the database - we're almost there with your original search term, and all it'd require is REMOVE_DUPLICATES.

There is another app which *may* assist with removing duplicates, though I haven't tried it myself, so I can not vouch for how effective it is. For me it loads a tad slowly since I have very many playlists: https://jmperezperez.com/spotify-dedup/

As mentioned, any songs where the "Ray Charles" is part of the group playing or named differently than just "Ray Charles" aren't included, so the song playlists are not really "complete".

Suggested posts