Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Shuffle Sucks

Shuffle Sucks

I added a bunch of songs by one artist to my playlist and now each time i play my playlist on shuffle it just puts all of their songs on the top and then the others. I want to listen to other artists and not just them so it makes me quite fustrated bc i don't want to skip all his songs. Someone got any advice?

29 Replies

I have the same problem. Found this bug report: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Implemented-Ideas/Implement-an-actual-shuffle-function/idc-p/181414...

Spotify seems to think that problem is resolved. They must not use their own service.

Same here. Is there an easy way to rearrange the playlist that I've already created to perhaps shuffle the shuffle if that makes sense?

Agreed. I want to call a number to complain or just cancel my subscription... this is ridiculous. Been terrible for a few years, at least. Hire someone who can insert an algorithm that makes it play random. Seems pretty simple but I’m not good with tech... And, if everyone else can figure it out why tf is Spotify (a mainstream service now) not getting this resolved? It’s clearly not resolved, and hasn’t been for a long time. I shouldn’t have to mess around with settings just so it can play on true shuffle/random. Cmon guys, seriously? 

I agree. Shuffle plays songs always same orden. Are you planning to improve It? 

Same here made a playlist with 300+ songs and it always seems to select the same group of tracks. It helps a little to turn shuffle off and on a few times you can see the next songs album change on the very edge of the screen but still! Please include a new shuffle algorithm in the next update. 

THIS!!! I thought it was just a rare thing to happen until my mind started guessing what song was next after a few of my favorites or it bunched songs of the same artist together. I even had a slight lag this morning and was hoping to not hear a specific song. Lo and behold my mind was right. How could it be possible to start knowing whats next on "RANDOM"?

agree - is this being addressed? I added some christmas songs to a big work day playlist and it is only playing close to the same ones. 

annoying 

Ok I thought I was imagining things but then I found THIS

Now would ANYBODY who actually works for Spotify and who might be able to look into c.q. FIX this be so kind as to respond here? ANYONE?

It IS pretty simple. I have no idea what Spotify was programmed in, but EVERY programming language has a Random Number Generator function and it can address repeating "randomness" by using different Seeds. It's not rocket science.

Agree. I had 4 sings play back to back, not shuffled. And it's always in the same order. Hope Spotify fixes this soon

PLEASE FIX THIS. It's totally annoying!! 

Please improve shuffle for my family's sake. 

I can vouch for this..Spotify shuffle sucks to begin with....Spotify on Xbox one is even worse.

Why spotify shuffle sucks:

-it repeats the same songs while others never get played. Seems to pick the same songs even after a restart...( my list contains 1600 songs.)

-spotify shuffle on Xbox one repeats the songs even in the same shuffle list.

this has been for few years, they earn milions monthly... how the **bleep** they can't afford 1-2 developers to fix this annoying **bleep**? but why do i even wonder, they can't even fix the spam bots in their forums

I already unsubscribed and moved to apple music, might be less poppulated and total garbage but atleast the main functions works as intended.

Yeah - this is rediculous. If you have a large playlist the shuffle is horrendous. My wife has a playlist of about 700 songs and shuffle always wants to play just the songs with titles that start with A-C. Her list is sorted by title and the shuffle algorithim is just taking the first ~100 songs alphabetically, and THEN shuffling them...so the shuffle litterally ignores and never plays the other ~600 songs.

I texted about it & they say the same thing...go on this of and add/vote on a post...this has been posted over & over. I was also told that he would let tech know, but looking at these posts, I doubt it'll happen.

The only work around I found for this issue is to arrange my music by TIME. Closest thing I can get to shuffling ALL my songs, so I don't continually hear the same darn songs! 

Agreed, shufflenon Spotify is total BS. Hard to believe somebody wrote an age old function as bad as Windows Media Player.

Come on Spotify this is super simple to fix and will make a tonne of subscribers happy!

I thought I was loosing my mind when I would set my study playlist to shuffle.. I kept thinking to myself 'wow* what are the odds of a song by the same artist coming on right after I just heard them!'. Nevermind, its this horrible shuffle alogrithm. Can't believe this is still an ongoing issue based on the first date this forum opened up. Seriously Spotify, fix this. I just want to listen to music on a real shuffle setting.

Suggested posts