Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Shuffle is broken on big playlists

Shuffle is broken on big playlists

When you have a lot of songs in a playlist, the shuffle function is clearly broken. If I sort my playlist on track title, only songs beginning with "0-B" as their first letter is played. When I sort on artist and enable shuffle, only tracks by artists starting with "0-A" are played. When I sort on duration, only the shortest or longest are played, dependent on whether the sorting is ascending or descending,

As far as I can tell, when you enable shuffle, only a certain number of songs are being shuffled. These songs seem to be starting from the top of your playlist and will include the next 500-ish songs as well. This means that songs further down in your playlist will never be played. 

12 Replies

EDIT: I just noticed that this only happends when playing on a Chromecast. Windows by it self seems to be fine so I guess this post is missplaced.

tl;dr: Shuffeling playlists on chromecast only includes a few songs from the "top" of you playlist.

Edit2: After more investigating, I've found the number of songs being shuffled to be pretty much exactly 100.

This means that no matter how big your playlist is, only the first 100 will be used when shuffeling the playlist on a chromecast device.

To replicate this issue:

1: Make a playlist of about 1000 songs

2. Connect to a Chromecast

3. Start playing a song

4. Enable shuffle

5. Keep pressing "next", only songs from the top 100 will play

I have this exact same problem with playing Spotify on a chrome cast. I have emailed Spotify customer support and they said they'd put their programmers on it.

The second thing that bugs me is that when I press a new song, either playing Spotify on my phone or my chrome cast, the shuffle function goes off. Corresponding with this problem is the lack of settings for the shuffle function.

Please fix this Spotify.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Connect-only-plays-100-song-chunks-of-playlists/idi-...

I've been told as recently as today that that is the thread to keep track of and that they ARE on the case. Even tho you wouldn't know by looking at the responses in that thread sadly. 😕

Well, it's the end of the year and the bug is still here, as are many other quite ancient bugs. 

Got a similar issuer with the android app

please fix this spotify - I am paying too much for this app...

Same issue. Using android, playing on google home. Shuffle only uses the first 100 songs in my playlist. 

Same for me, and I'm on iOS

Please look at this asap.

Yep still getting this issue. Having to manually change up my first 100 to keep it fresh. Spotify/Google shurely have some coding on this to make it only play top 100 - even an explanation about this would be nice.

Anyone know if this happens on Google, Apple or Amazon Music?

Suggested posts