Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Shuffle play only playing first songs in playlist

Shuffle play only playing first songs in playlist

This seems to be a recent change for me on my desktop app (streaming to my SONOS Play). Pressing "next" -button ~100 times now, and it exclusively plays songs with artist name A-D (which makes up roughly 15% of the entire playlist).

Funny enough, it has chosen the last song (alphabeticaly) of my last artist beginning with D, but nothing from artist on E and further (maybe indicating that it is not a coincidence that it stops on D?).

I am on version 1.0.63.617.g5aca9a2a 1.0.65.320.gac7a8e02 (edit: updated, but proplem still persists)

edit: Also, if I manually select  a song further out in my playlists, if will select songs within a relatively close range (alphabeticaly) as next. This could happen for 10 songs, before it jumps back to the start of the playlist and exclusively selects songs up until D.

Is this a known issue, and how to I solve it?

8 Replies

This bug seems so specific, I cannot possibly be the only one experiencing this? If it is of relevance, the playlist in question has 500+ songs...

I am bumping this, and reformulating the question: "How is shuffle supposed to work!?" (since I am getting no help with the initial formulation).

This issue persists for me, across platforms/devices. Also, when selecting a folder of playlists and using shuffle, it only selects songs for the first playlist in the playlist-folder...

Can anyone confirm that the suffle-play is supposed to play randoms songs when large (500+ songs) playlists are involved?

You are not alone. I am experiencing exactly the same thing. I came here hoping to find a solution.

I am new to Spotify so have the latest versions of the apps. I am playing on a Sonos system, using both the Android app and the desktop app on a Linux system. My playlist is just over 2200 songs.

Copy/paste from another thread hopw it helps:

I had the same issue some time ago. The bug is when you're logged in to the same account on more than one device. They don't need to have spotify open at the same time for this to occur. Try login out of both accounts and then back to only one device.

This worked for me atleast if I recall correctly... Good luck

edit: Found this

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Connect-only-plays-100-song-chunks-of-playlists/idi-...

Thanks. Sadly it didn't work.

While checking your suggestion I saw that it was clearly the Spotify-Sonos connection that is causing the problem. If I start the list on my computer, playing just through my computer speaker, the list shuffles perfectly with songs throughout the alphabet (looking at the queue). As soon as I click "Listen on [Sonos]" all of the songs in the queue change to a small subset of my list- the numbers and the first of the A's. Ditto if I try on my Android phone. 

Sonos appears to cache songs. When I log out of Spotify on my phone and computer the sonos system will continue playing songs originating from Spotify for a while. There doesn't seem to be a way to kill the Sonos app or clear the cache from that end. 

I'm having this issue as well, only it's not Sonos, it's when I stream through Chromecast Audio. It shuffles the entire playlist just fine when not connected to Chromecast, but as soon as I turn that on, it only shuffles the first 50 songs or so. Please help!

I'm still having this issue. This is so frustrating. You're charging users monthly but don't adress this simple problem that many of us still suffer from

This issue still exists. I first noticed while casting to chromecast yesterday, and now 18 hours after stopping the cast, spotify will still only play songs that start with A. 

Suggested posts