Premium

Country

UK

Device

Desktop

Operating System

Windows 10, latest update I presume

My Question or Issue

As subject - I've noticed this happen a lot recently and its incredibly frustrating

It happens on 2 different occasions:
First, if i hit play on my media keys when the PC display is "sleeping" (PC still running, but display blank, I used to do this all the time to resume my music and wake the display at the same time). Unless i wake the display first and THEN hit play, the music will do the stupid skip through to the end of the playlist thing and show me the "cant play this right now" error.

Second, which I think I've seen reported before but not seen any working solutions, is if I plug/unplug something like my Oculus Rift (which I do a lot). Whatever I'm playing at the time is gone and spotify just flies through to the end again, and again showing the error if I try and play it again.

Upon a restart I can play music again, not having changed audio device or anything, but of course I've lost my place in whichever playlist/album etc I was listening to (and yes that bothers me, I'm pretty OCD in how I listen to me music).

3 Replies

Hey there @garyjpaterson

Thanks for reaching out - we’re here to help!

In case you observe the desktop app skipping through songs ending with the error message you describe, it's good to start off with a clean reinstall of Spotify on your PC. This will make sure any corrupted files that might be causing this get removed. Check out this help page in order to find the steps for clean reinstall on the affected device. Once you’ve performed the clean reinstall you'll need to re-download your offline music and podcasts. 

If a clean reinstall doesn't do the trick for you, check out this Ongoing Issue and add your vote to it by clicking on the +VOTE button. Make sure you follow the steps provided under Status Update as well. It'll also be useful to subscribe via the three-dots menu in the top right corner next to the title. That'll make sure you stay up to date with any relevant updates about this.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more questions.  

I have the same problem except it happens whenever I wake up my computer.

Btw this is still a problem for me after a clean install. And the suggested fix seems unrelated to me, as its to do with Xonar audio drivers/cards, which I have none of (using built in realtek audio).

Very frustrating.

Suggested posts