Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Some songs don't play. Reinstall only works for a day or two.

Some songs don't play. Reinstall only works for a day or two.

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

HP EliteBook 840 G1

Operating System

Windows 7 Enterprise, SP1

My Question or Issue

All songs that are in Spotify-curated lists or my playlists play fine. Songs found by searching often don't play. After pressing the 'play' button, the play icon at the bottom switches to a 'pause' icon, but it never starts playing.

I've tried the following solutions:

-Enable/disable hardware acceleration
-Tried all different streaming qualities
-Reinstalling, making sure these folders are first deleted:
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Spotify
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Spotify

-Cleared local storage
-Check/uncheck 'Show Local Files'
-Checked hosts file for mention of spotify or fastly (Neither was present)

iTunes/Quicktime are not installed on this computer, so updating Quicktime isn't necesary. I do not have any music files stored locally on this computer.

I've reinstalled numerous times, and this continues to occur.

Everything plays just fine via the web player and on the mobile app on my Google Pixel 3XL

For the price we pay as premium subscribers, this is unacceptable. Please help.

4 Replies

hey @mousemanb

As I see this solution did not work for you: 

"This a known bug with the desktop app and Spotify is investigating the issue. There is a workaround which seems to be working for some users. Can you try the following steps:

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
  2. go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them.
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify.

Hope that solves the issue! Let me know if you have further questions. There is also an open issue about this here where you can track it and vote for it so it catches more attention. I hope this will get fixed on Spotify's end soon."

i recommend to you, that you try downloading it from the App Store, if you downloaded it from the Official Spotify Website.

I really hope this helps!

Have a nice day and good luck!

~levi

Why would you copy/paste the entire text of the hosts file workaround, if I already mentioned it wasn't working for me?

Which app store are you suggesting?

I searched in the Microsoft store, because that's the only app store I can think of that would apply to my situation, and there are 2 apps - one for Windows 10, and another for Windows Mobile. Since I'm on a Windows 7 device, neither option would appear to work for me.

I had the same problem but it turned out to be a network problem. For whatever reason, sometimes there is a bottleneck as the Spotify servers switch songs. In my case, I was running a browser instance and the desktop of the app simultaneously. The issue went away after I closed the browser and restarted the app.

I am not sure there is an easy open/close solution to this. Next time, try exiting the app and relaunch.

@LordoftheSith wrote:

I had the same problem but it turned out to be a network problem. For whatever reason, sometimes there is a bottleneck as the Spotify servers switch songs. In my case, I was running a browser instance and the desktop of the app simultaneously. The issue went away after I closed the browser and restarted the app.

I am not sure there is an easy open/close solution to this. Next time, try exiting the app and relaunch.

Thank you, but that doesn't appear to be the case here. I pretty much only use the Spotify desktop application. The only time I open the web browser is when I want to see if this problem has resurfaced for me.

Suggested posts