Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Sometimes When Opening Spotify, The Windows App will play the last played song, can't change songs

Sometimes When Opening Spotify, The Windows App will play the last played song, can't change songs

Plan

Premium

Country

US

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Occasionally when booting my computer, Spotify will run into this weird bug where it'll start playing the last played song, usually from my liked music, I can go back, but I can't pick a different song or press next. 

I'm able to fix this by restarting my computer, but it's a pain to do that every time I want to boot the thing. To avoid this issue, I have to open spotify right after I boot my PC, but timing when to open programs manually gets tiring. 

The web player works just fine which leads me to believe that it's either my settings on the desktop app or there's something on my PC that is conflicting with the app. 

Other than that I have no idea, been dealing with this for a few months. 

3 Replies

Hey @NaturalKnight 

I would recommend trying a reinstall - this will help get rid of issues arising from problems in your Spotify installation. 🙂

Do you close the Spotify app before closing PC, or you let Windows close it as you turn off the PC?

Let me know how you get on!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I've done a clean reinstall a couple weeks ago, didn't seem to help.

I generally let windows close spotify, and I've disabled its opening on boot. I'll try closing spotify manually before shutting down for a while and see if that helps

Hey @NaturalKnight,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

Can you try the following:

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
  2. go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify

Also - If the device has multiple sound cards, can you install/update the drivers for each card?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply 🙂

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Suggested posts