Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Song stops playing after around 5-8 seconds and gives the message "can't play the current song".

Solved!

Song stops playing after around 5-8 seconds and gives the message "can't play the current song".

Plan

Premium

Country

United States Of America

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Whenever I try to play songs, some of them wont even start playing and some of them will play for about 5-8 seconds then stop (not paused) and then get a blue message at the top saying it cant be played.

Things I have tried:

Restarting spotify

Restarting PC

Disabling hardware acceleration in settings

Complete uninstall deleting all associated files and reinstalling multiple times and even restarting my computer

Checked sound driver for updates

Signed out of all devices

Its been about 4 days of having the issue, example in attachments

Issue.PNG

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi,

I may have found a solution. For some weird reasons, a file has configured Windows to block a server of Spotify.

The file is located under Windows\System32\drivers\etc

Open ‘hosts’ as administrator with any text editor

Find the line: 0.0.0.0 spclient.wg.spotify.com

Either delete it or comment it by putting # at the beginning.

In my case, that was it.

Best regards.

View solution in original post

17 Replies

i have the same problem with all songs on spotify

I have the same Problem on my Work PC since I have Spotify Premium.

I have tryed all these things to but nothing Works.. that sucks. 

Home PC, Smartphone, Receiver works..

Marked as solution

Hi,

I may have found a solution. For some weird reasons, a file has configured Windows to block a server of Spotify.

The file is located under Windows\System32\drivers\etc

Open ‘hosts’ as administrator with any text editor

Find the line: 0.0.0.0 spclient.wg.spotify.com

Either delete it or comment it by putting # at the beginning.

In my case, that was it.

Best regards.

youre a genius, this is a complete solution to many issues, it works

thanks buddy

https://youtu.be/KgmLXgr1COs this explain how to edit the host list

Thank you very much! This also worked as a solution for me, only difference being I seemed to have 2 of those lines blocking servers and had to delete another one similar to what you said.

It aint helps for me there is nothing blocked.

YES THANK YOU IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi I have this problem but for me its 7 seconds when it stops playing. I tried the solution but there was no file with spotify on it. I tried to reinstall etc with no results. Please help someone.

Hey there @jontte-

Thanks for reaching out to the Community about this. 

Just to confirm, have you tried a clean reinstall instead of the regular reinstall? We recommend this step as it'll remove the old drivers first and then install the new ones. It'll also get you the latest version of Spotify. 

Then you can try finding the host file again and edit it as @Unit3698 described.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted. 

Thanks this helped. I have no problems with spotify now :).

Hey there @jontte-

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

We're happy to hear the solution you found on the Community has resolved this issue. You can go ahead and click the Accept as Solution button under the post. This way you let other users who experience the same get help as well. 

We'll be happy to lend a hand if you need more help. Take care! 

Or you could go into task manager, right click spotify, and end task. Then re-open and it fixes. This fixes any problems i have with spotify.

Hi, I'm reopening the issue as I'm having the same problem and all the proposed solutions haven't worked for me.

Plan

Free

Country

Portugal

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Any music track will start playing but stop before 10 seconds with the message "Can't play current song". This issue only appears on the PC app, not in the browser or in the Android app so I find it hard to believe it may be related to the internet connection.

Things I have tried:

Regular re-install

Clean re-install

Resetting "hosts" file to default (when opening the original file, even w/ admin privilege, file appeared to be empty, there was not even commented out text)

Note: PC restart after each of the above.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Hey @SofiaB3,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for joining the conversation.

We appreciate all the troubleshooting you've done so far. Since this issue appears to be affecting the desktop app only, can you confirm if the app you have installed was downloaded from our website or the Microsoft Store?

In case that you have the website version, could you try it with the one from the Microsoft store and vice versa to see if it makes any difference?

Lastly, include in your next response the Spotify version you're currently running to continue investigating the case.

We'll be on the lookout.

OscarDCModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi @OscarDC, thank you for your reply!

I was using the desktop version downloaded from the Spotify website; just did a clean re-install from the microsoft app store and the problem persists.

I'm currently using Spotify for Windows, v. 1.2.11.916.geb595a67

Any ideas on what may be causing this problem?

Thank you!

Hi @SofiaB3,

Thanks for your reply and the info provided.

Just to make sure, if you go to the restored Hosts file on your PC, you don't see any entries with Spotify in them, right? We'd recommend checking once again with the steps posted by @Unit3698. Or you can find a more detailed description here.

You could also try adding Spotify as an exclusion to the Antivirus, Firewall and/or Windows Security on your computer. You'll find the steps for the last one on the Microsoft Support page. Lastly, check if the sound drivers on your PC are updated.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply! 

Susan_GPModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts