Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Songs I haven't played in the past won't play at all

Solved!

Songs I haven't played in the past won't play at all

I actually haven't checked on other devices, but on my pc at least, songs and even podcasts won't play at all, at the bottom where you'd normally see the track playing with the picture to the left, it's just like the default image, the bar doesn't move and there isn't even a time at the side of it, no audio. Before you ask, I've tried reinstalling multiple times, I've done a bunch of things with my account e.g. logging out and back in, changing settings. I don't use any local file songs, and I have them disabled. Spotify used to be so good, perfect, no issues what so ever, but now it's practically unusable, I'm not actually sure when it started, I have no clue how it started, but I do know that it's particular songs, there's only a few that I've played in the past that don't play for some reason. 

53e04a8e79a0b135b1c85238bd2c3215.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hello  @seagSMUSH!

Can you try the following steps:

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
  2. go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them.
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify.

There seems to be some bugs with the desktop client and this workaround seems to be working for some users. Let me know how it goes.

Have a nice day.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Marked as solution

Hello  @seagSMUSH!

Can you try the following steps:

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
  2. go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them.
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify.

There seems to be some bugs with the desktop client and this workaround seems to be working for some users. Let me know how it goes.

Have a nice day.

Thanks.  This seems to have worked for me.

Ty, worked for me, I've had to go into that file before and change stuff, so I knew it was something to do with that, just didn't know what to do with it.

@seagSMUSH

Glad it worked out for you. Cheers!

Suggested posts