Free

Country

United Kingdom

Device

Desktop computer

Operating System

Windows 10

My Issue

I launched the desktop app a day or two ago, and only then i stumbled upon the problem. There is no music on the app, also when I try to play the music, it will highlight it in green but no music will play and it won't show it playing in the bar at the bottom. Also all the songs in my playlists are completely gone because of this.

I have tried doing a clean reinstall, deleting the chached files on my C drive and tried multiple other accounts. Nothing has worked so far. The music works on everything else, but not on my desktop app.

Spotify_2019-02-21_15-07-19.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @biasantiago @user-removed @JoshSe @MxDemo @faerlie

This a known bug with the desktop app and Spotify is investigating the issue. There is a workaround which seems to be working for some users. Can you try the following steps:

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
  2. go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them.
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify.

Hope that solves the issue! Let me know if you have further questions. I hope this will get fixed on Spotify's end soon.

Have a nice day.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

I'm having the exact same problems you are - all my playlists are empty, songs won't show up nor play and I've tried everything to fix it:

1. I've done a clean reinstall at least five times now (being sure that all profiles were removed from AppData each time)
  2. Also restarted my computer at least five times now
  3. Logged out and back in
  4. Made an alt account to see if it was just my account (it wasn't, music wouldn't play on the alt either)
  5. Tried using Spotify Connect to play music through my phone into my computer - nada
  6. Tried using the web player as well - same problem

This seems to just be a problem with PC as my phone can play music just fine. This only started happening for me about a day ago as well. If anyone knows what's wrong and can come up with a solution, you'd be an absolute lifesaver as this has been frustrating me all day (just look at my queue... I have no idea)

what the absolute hell spotify.PNG

Same here, no solution yet T_T but i see in the forum that is a well known bug and that they are working on it, let just ve patient .

Yup, been happening to me for over a week now. Might have to start paying for Apple Music...

I'm having the same problem as well for days. No songs are playing, my playlists are also showing up as empty and i also reinstalled the app, disconnected my account but this annoying problem continues and I don't know what else to do to solve it and I thought that was only with me but seems it's in general. 

Well, hope someone help us while I don't find a solution for this.

Marked as solution

Hey @biasantiago @user-removed @JoshSe @MxDemo @faerlie

This a known bug with the desktop app and Spotify is investigating the issue. There is a workaround which seems to be working for some users. Can you try the following steps:

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
  2. go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them.
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify.

Hope that solves the issue! Let me know if you have further questions. I hope this will get fixed on Spotify's end soon.

Have a nice day.

Hey @

So far this seems to be the only thing that has fixed it for me! Thank you so much. Hopefully Spotify gets it fixed on their end as well, so this doesn't happen anymore.

@user-removed

You are welcome 🙂 You can mark the answer as solution so it will be helpful for other users as well 🙂

@Mantisentil this has fixed the issue on my end as well, thank you so much!!

Suggested posts