Country

USA

Device

Windows PC

Operating System

Windows 7

My Question or Issue

Hello,

I've been an avid spotify user going on 5 years now and for the past couple months I have been having to deal with crippling issues on the Windows 7 client which is going to inevitably make me have to switch music streaming platforms. Even though I would hate to lose some of my playlists (one of which has over 500 songs) I am getting to the point where I am starting to look for ways to migrate those playlists since the Windows 7 client is becoming unusable.

The issue is that a large amount of tracks on Spotify just will not play when I press play. I get empty album art and nothing happens. I have been able to solve this problem by uninstalling Spotify, restarting my computer, and reinstalling Spotify. BUT the issue will come back as quickly as a couple of hours and I'm back to not even being able to play these tracks. I am not talking about grayed-out tracks. The tracks I'm talking about are available on Spotify, but whatever bug in the client just will not allow me to play them.

I have attached a screenshot of the issue which is currently happening right now, but this problem effects a large amount of tracks that I attempt to play on Spotify. And it's making it impossible to use Spotify to discover new music as I used to.

I would hate to switch platforms but if I can't get this issue solved I will unfortunately have to since this issue has been going on for several months and I have had to reinstall Spotify numerous times only for nothing to be fixed.

I would appreciate any help solving this issue.

Thanks

Spotify issue.PNG
11 Replies

Hey @Ellistan, welcome to the Community.

Hope you're doing great!

This issue seems to be under investigation.

I'd suggset adding your vote and details there as well as following the thread for future updates.

Thanks 🙂

This is just honestly ridiculous

I literally want to buy Spotify premium so that I can listen to whatever music I want on my morning commute, but how can I support this company with money if they can't even make their PC client usable?

Collosal failure

Sorry that your disaponited like @Loxer  we are trying to do our bets to fix it

Till than it might be due to your operating system of windows 7 try using the web player

Please like!

I don't see why my operating system would be the problem?

It's obviously the company failing to do their job with the new version of the client.

I shouldn't have to dig up an old version of the Spotify client and prevent it from updating just to make it work as it should.

Just use the web browser

What an unhelpful thing to say

I have the same problem on windows 10, reinstalled several times but now it just doesnt work anymore. every song I play stops after about 10 seconds

Yeah, it's an awful client.

found a temporary fix, downgraded the spotify version to 1.0.44.100. didn't try newer versions and I dont bother because this one works fine. so it isnt a connection problem, os problem or anything like that as the "support" states. anyway here is the link hope it works for you too

[snip - Community Moderator edit]

Hey there @Ellistan,

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community about this!

The issue you're describing sounds a bit different than the Ongoing Issue @Loxer mentions.

Just to confirm, do you see any error messages when this happens? If so, it might be due to this Ongoing Issue instead. 

If not, we'd recommend double checking the following:

• Check the app is up-to-date.
  • Try playing on a different device, or with the web player. If this works, your inability to play on the first device could be an issue with the device itself. Check more info here.
  • If possible, try it with a different WiFi network. If it works with another connection, we recommend contacting the service provider of the original network for more information.
  • Make sure your device's software is up to speed with any pending updates.
  • Check the correct audio output is selected in your device’s volume settings. You can refer to the manufacturer for help with volume settings.
  • For computers, it’s worth checking your soundcard driver software. You can refer to your device’s manufacturer for help with this. 
  • Update the sound and graphic card drivers on your device.
  • Uncheck Hardware acceleration under View, and restart the app.

You can also try trying to clear the local files cache: 

• Close Spotify.
  • Navigate to "%appdata%\Spotify\Users\" in your file browser.
  • There should be a folder "username-user" - enter the folder.
  • Delete the file named "local-files.bnk".
  • Start Spotify.

Let us know how things go! We'll be right here if you still need help.

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

Yeah.. the app was up to date. This has been going on for several months.

The only way to solve it was to actually install a much older version of Spotify. Since your recent clients have been abysmal.

All of the information about this long-running failure is contained in the screenshot in my original post.

Suggested posts