Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Songs "Play" but no sound

Songs "Play" but no sound

So, I've been experiencing some problems with Spotify on my iPhone (not my iPhone being broken, stupid problem of the Spotify app itself) and now on my Windows 10, too!

The app will say a song is playing, but I have no sound. I tried plugging in and out my headphones, connect it with a speaker with BlueTooth, tried to fix the settings (which didn't work out) and tried to put up all the volume. If those things worked, I wouldn't bother writing a topic about it.

I know, there are many other topics that have the same problem and are all solved, but I just can't fix it.

Tips that are actually working would be nice..

Some extra information that might help:

I don't have Spotify Premium,

I have a Gaming Laptop, R.O.G. with the Windows 10.

I tried other things such as YouTube and I got sound, only Spotify won't work.

My Issue is:

No sound, but the song is playing, and all the other stuff on other topics won't work.

69 Replies

Hey @14o75, thanks for reaching out.

I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try restarting your device? If that doesn't help, try a quick clean reinstallation of the app. Just follow the steps here.

If you're still having trouble, could you let me know the exact version of Spotify and the exact version of the operating system you're running?

I'll see what I can suggest!

LukeSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

ok so this is one of the fixes that worked for me. (sorry if it didnt work for you) in the bottom right corner to the very left of the volume bar, it will show you what device your music is playing on. you could be playing it on the wrong device like i was.

I'm having this same issue from my laptop. I tried all of the following:

- Restarted my laptop

- Uninstalled and reinstalled the app

- Checked audio setting on app and on Windows. It's just a Spotify issue as Youtube and other apps sound worked fine 

- Checked if it was playing from incorrect device. It wasn't. 

Please help as this is really frustrating 😞

Thanks, Becky

Hi there @Beckyroo222,

Thank you for your reply in this thread and for the troubleshooting you've tried?

Can you confirm that you followed the steps that are provided in this article? There's some more steps to help thoroughly uninstall the app from your device, so if you haven't, we'd highly suggest it since the steps will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

If you did without any success, head over to this thread and follow the steps that's provided in there.

Let us know how it goes so that we can continue to assist you if you need us to 🙂

Have a great Friday and start of your weekend!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I also have this problem! More and more and more lately.. it’s gotten so frustrating I’m thinking of leaving Spotify. If I press “forward” or “back” more than like twice in a row the app seems to “freeze” in a way… the sound completely stops even though it shows it’s playing. Things that DONT fix the problem: restarting my phone, updating the app, deleting and re-downloading the app, closing and re-opening the app, and disconnecting and reconnecting to Bluetooth if I’m listening on a device. Nothing seems to fix it but time. It happens on both my laptop and phone. Only spotify is affected, so it must be a spotify problem. It’s awful and I hate it so much. I think I will give Apple Music a try. 

Hey @Britrpretty,

Thanks for your reply in this thread and for letting us know the troubleshooting you did so far 🙂

We understand you've already tried a reinstall of the app. However, we recommend performing a clean (more thorough) reinstall of the Spotify app on your mobile device to see if this makes a difference. You can find the steps to do it here.

On another note, can you let us know the exact make/model and OS of your devices along with the Spotify version you use in each of them?

Finally, did you notice if this started to happen after a specific event such as an OS update? 

We'll keep an eye on your response! 

CarlosEModerator

I have that problem too. Playing music in the browser, sometimes it doesn't have sound even though other tabs and applications can have sounds. So disappointed. It happens randomly in Chrome on macOS and Windows. 

Hey @Kyun_Kakata,

Thanks for posting in the Community.

Have you tried clearing the cache and cookies of your browser?

Does the same issue occur if you use a different browser with a different internet connection?

Keep us posted,

Cheers!

DianModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

I have the same problem no matter what device I use, no matter if I logout and log back in, no matter if I restart device. It will only be spotify. I can go directly to anything else with sound and it will work.  It happens from the app and the web player. It will show the song playing, but there will be no sound. It is very frustrating and it is happening more and more lately. I haven't found a pattern to when or why it happens. It seems to be completely random. Like I said, it is very frustrating and happening more and more often.

Hey @donnakay2,

Thanks for the reply.

Could you share the device setup information of the devices you've encountered this issue on? We need the brand/model and operating system.

Does the issue occur if you switch the network connection or restart the router?

Keep us posted,

Cheers!

DianModerator

Same issues here randomly.  Used to never have issues playing my downloaded songs when I’m offline and out of service.  

now most of the time it just shows that it’s playing but I get no audio….  Seems like it won’t work until I get back to service/internet connection and then it’ll work again.  Basically defeats the purpose of paying to download and play offline!

this happened on my old iPhone 7 and my current iphone13 iOS 15.5 and Spotify 8.7.42.1716 (as well as previous versions on the same phone) 

it’s definitely more of a consistent issue now than it was a couple years ago on my old phone 

Hey there @ykdave,

Thanks for the post.

Can you let us know if you have "Offline Mode" switched on from the app settings when this happens?

Looking forward to your reply.

AlexModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I am also having the same problem ! Just signed up and if I do not get a solution before the start of next month I will definitely unsubscribe - using safari on Mac 

Hey @charlope,

Glad to have you on the Community. No worries, we're here to help!

Is this happening with the web player only? If you haven't already, we recommend checking off the steps listed in this article. If possible try a different browser or consider installing the app.

It's also worth checking your audio settings - If everything is in the right place but there is still no sound, you can try the suggestions in this thread.

Hope you'll find this useful!

ElenaModerator

I have this same problem. SOME songs play, but others don't. I have premium, using the app or in-browser player, doesn't matter. I can play some songs and they work just fine, but I play other songs, and they're "playing", as in the oscillator over the little play button animates, but there is no sound. It seems like only the songs from the playlists that I've downloaded actually play. Nothing else will. This IS an issue with Spotify, because I've got no other sound issues anywhere else in my system. Sounds like something Spotify needs to look into, instead of passing the troubleshooting off onto their users and paying customers. 

The issue seems to be with any songs that I've tried playing or adding this morning. Anything I tried to play before this worked fine, but as of this morning, any new music that I haven't already played before now, plays, but has no audio. 

And now, suddenly, after a long period of some kind of weird lag I guess, they are playing with sound. Weirdest thing. Spotify is super buggy. 

Hey @alphamachina,

Thanks for keeping us posted.

We're glad to hear that it was sorted out for you.

If you need a hand with anything, the Community will be here for you.

Cheers!

ElenaModerator

I am having the same issue and it does not seem to be device specific.  It happens on my Samsung phone and also on my android TV.  It happens randomly and it usually resolves itself when I close the app and reopen on my phone; however, that is only until it does it again.  I just started using it on my android tv, and I haven't figured out how to get it to work again.  I switched back to the phone and got it to play, but switching back to the TV didn't resolve the issue with the TV sound. Does anyone know if Spotify will resolve this issue? I have been ignoring it for a while, but now I'm just kind of getting tired of it.

Suggested posts