Step 1

NEXT STEP

Sonos - Need restart of Spotify app daily

Sonos - Need restart of Spotify app daily

Operating System

Windows 10

Sonos Ikea Symfonisk

My Question or Issue

When I select my Sonos speaker it should switch the audio to that speaker (Spotify connect); This works perfectly after I freshly started the Spotify software on windows. However, if the software is still open from the day before, I can NOT connect to the speaker. The speaker is still in the list though, but when I click it, no sound is heard (so it switches away from PC speakers but the Sonos does not get the music). 

I first thought this was an issue with the speaker, restarting it however didn't help. I now know that I just need to restart Spotify and this solves the issue, which show this is a software problem of Spotify.

This has been an issue since the start (years now), I was hoping this was a known issue that would get fixed but it seems not.

NOTE1: I had this on a previous laptop as well, I now have a fresh one so a reinstall of the app is not a solution.

NOTE2: Both my Sonos as Computer are connected to a very stable LAN network via cable.

2 Replies

This happens to me as well, but I am on MacOS (Currently Sonoma, but it's likewise been happening forever). For me it goes like this:

1. Connect to my speaker and listen to music via Spotify app on MacOS.
  2. Pause the music and take a break (could be lunch, or overnight ... or any extended period that seems to timeout the connection to Sonos). 
  3. Come back to my desk to find Spotify has disconnected from my Sonos and has switched back to "This computer" for sound output in the "connect to device" menu.
  4. Attempt to select my Sonos as the output device in "connect to device" menu.
  5. Result: The speaker icon flashes / pulses indicating that Sonos is attempting to connect to the device, but the connection is never successfully established. If I play music the sound comes from my computer.
  6. Quit and restart Spotify.
  7. Again attempt to select my Sonos as the output device in "connect to device menu."
  8. This time the connection to Sonos is established almost instantly.

My current system

MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2019

macOS Sonoma 14.1.2

Spotify for macOS (Intel) 1.2.26.1187.g36b715a1

Sonos Amp

Sonos OS: S2

Version: 15.11 (build 76247270)

Hardware Version: 1.24.1.19-1.2

Series ID: A107

Oh! I just discovered an even easier way to reproduce: it seems I can just switch back to "This computer" and I am no longer able to toggle back to my Sonos. So the steps would be:

1. Connect to my speaker and listen to music via Spotify app on MacOS.
  2. Pause the music and switch output device to "This computer". I don't have to start playing at this point it seems.  
  3. Attempt to select my Sonos as the output device in "connect to device" menu.
  4. Result: The speaker icon flashes briefly and the "Connecting to Sonos" banner appears briefly then it stops trying to connect (same as OP). If I play music the sound comes from my computer.
  5. Quit and restart Spotify.
  6. At this point sometimes Spotify will restart already connected to the Sonos.
    1. If not, attempt to select my Sonos as the output device in "connect to device menu."
    2. This time the connection to Sonos is established almost instantly.

I also noticed that toggling my wifi on and off also seems to fix the issue.

Suggested posts