Free/Premium

Country

Germany

Device

Dell PC

Operating System

Windows 7

My Question or Issue

Spotify doesn`t play when I connect a Digital-Analog Converter (ESI U46DJ) via USB. I tried different laptops and changed various settings, nothing worked. Is it a general issue with D/A Converters and Spotify or is it my converter? Does anybody use a D/A converter without having problems? If yes, which device/model? Thx

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

@ponkalot

Alright, that's rather odd. I run a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and it works fine.

I found another user who found their interface only worked when its sample rate was set to 196kHz. I also read that your DAC has 41/48kHz.
I tried these settings (buffer size and sample rate) on myself, found that these settings always resulted in audio playback (44.1 and 48kHz with buffer size of 1024 caused issues with sound for me).

Spotify crashed when settings were changed, but it's normal, I suppose. I just terminate the Spotify processes and things were back to normal

I'd recommend reinstalling Spotify whilst the interface is plugged in.

You can also try disabling the onboard audio so that the USB interface is the only audio device present.

Does it work normally when you try the Spotify web player and your local media players?

Let me know how you get on 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Hey @ponkalot

I also have a USB audio interface from Focusrite.  No issues with Spotify or any other app.

As Spotify plays on default device, I'd recommend checking the following setting:

1. right-click on speaker icon on Taskbar;
2. select "Playback devices" in the menu;

3. make sure your device is set as Default.

Let me know how it goes 🙂

SebastySpotify Star

It was the first I checked. The interface is listed with the correct name and set as default. So that's not the reason. Thx for the tip anyway.

Marked as solution

@ponkalot

Alright, that's rather odd. I run a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and it works fine.

I found another user who found their interface only worked when its sample rate was set to 196kHz. I also read that your DAC has 41/48kHz.
I tried these settings (buffer size and sample rate) on myself, found that these settings always resulted in audio playback (44.1 and 48kHz with buffer size of 1024 caused issues with sound for me).

Spotify crashed when settings were changed, but it's normal, I suppose. I just terminate the Spotify processes and things were back to normal

I'd recommend reinstalling Spotify whilst the interface is plugged in.

You can also try disabling the onboard audio so that the USB interface is the only audio device present.

Does it work normally when you try the Spotify web player and your local media players?

Let me know how you get on 🙂

SebastySpotify Star

I tried the web player first and it worked perfect.

Then I disabled the onboard audio devices and BINGO that's it.

But I think I'll go for another device. Focusrite seems to be a good option.

Many, many thanks for your help.  🐵

@ponkalot

I'm glad to hear this was the solution. 🙂

Focusrite devices are good indeed. I was suggested other devices too such as Tascam US-2x2 which also has very nice specs and very little issues. I hope you find an interface you'll love!

I do have to mention I have my onboard audio disabled. It's just so bad (noise-ridden) and I won't be using it anyway when I have something much better available.

(I also have done some of the performance optimization tips found here. They should work well for all interfaces.)

Have a nice day!

SebastySpotify Star

Suggested posts