Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotfiy won't let me play available songs that I could've played before.

Solved!

Spotfiy won't let me play available songs that I could've played before.

Before Spotify would let me play any song I want as long it was available. Now there are songs at random that for some reason won't let me play them. At first I thought it was songs that weren't saved to my songs. While that is somewhat the case, there is still songs not saved that let me play like normal.Song I don't have saved, but let's me play.Song I don't have saved, but let's me play.Song also not saved, but won't let me play it.

Songs that don't play just leave Spotify blank until I find another song that will. It really just pick and choose which will work. This is frustarating, as I tried everything from logging back in and out on both online and the program. Uninstalling and reinstalling it like 3 times now, and it still happens. I have premium so I don't understand why this is happening. Anyone have a solution?

Plan

Premium

Operating System

Windows 8

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I literally just had the same problem.

Not just new songs wouldn't play (songs already in my playlists would continue to play), but after uninstalling and reinstalling Spotify, half the contents of my playlists disappeared. (!!)

Here is the fix in Windows:

check your HOSTS file.

Specifically, I use a program called HostsMan which kills a lot of bad domains automatically for me.  I had to add exclusions for:

*.spotify.com 

*.fastlylb.net  

2019-02-06 07_36_36-Exclusion List.png

I had a miserable time uninstalling and reinstalling and clearing temp files and all that nonsense.  Doing this, and then restarting Spotify, corrected the issue immediately.

Your hosts file is located here:
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\HOSTS
you can open that file with Notepad or other text editor.

Specifically, in my case, it looks like the exclusion for *.spotify.com is what did the trick.  Checking the tool I use (HostsMan):

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.txt

It looks like this:

# 0.0.0.0 spclient.wg.spotify.com #[affects mobile app]

Got added at some point, and then commented out.  I was probably using an older copy of the file.

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Hey there @user-removed,

thanks for posting in the community !

The issue you're having can be caused when the OS your using isn't up to date.

In addition, audio drivers that aren't updated can cause it too.

Please check you Win update feature + your audio drivers.

If all is intact and the issue is still happening, consider reinstalling your audio drivers as it might solve the issue.

Let me know how you did 😃

I have the same problem on Win10, i tried:

- update windows

- delete and reinstall spotify (website version and windows store version)

- remove antivirus

- remove high quality streaming option

- change DNS on windows

- using web player

Nothing to do, can't play some tracks usually of the same album.

ex. Jamiroquai (Automation) - plays "Cloud 9" but not "Superfresh" and others

spotify.PNG

I could resolve it by deleting the Spotify entries from the Hosts file.

Bingo! 

I supposed it was something about Windows because on mobile works fine. 

Thank you so much! 

Still no luck.

Have you cleaned the hosts file? Remember to open your text editor as admin or Windows won't Save the file

Same problem here.

When I reinstall Spotify, it works perfectly. But if I restart my PC, I have the same problem again. So I have to install Spotify every single time.

HELP!

Here is a Tutorial for how to delete the Entry out of the Hosts file.
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/Songs-won-t-start-playing/m-p/4673241/highlight/tru...

Marked as solution

I literally just had the same problem.

Not just new songs wouldn't play (songs already in my playlists would continue to play), but after uninstalling and reinstalling Spotify, half the contents of my playlists disappeared. (!!)

Here is the fix in Windows:

check your HOSTS file.

Specifically, I use a program called HostsMan which kills a lot of bad domains automatically for me.  I had to add exclusions for:

*.spotify.com 

*.fastlylb.net  

2019-02-06 07_36_36-Exclusion List.png

I had a miserable time uninstalling and reinstalling and clearing temp files and all that nonsense.  Doing this, and then restarting Spotify, corrected the issue immediately.

Your hosts file is located here:
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\HOSTS
you can open that file with Notepad or other text editor.

Specifically, in my case, it looks like the exclusion for *.spotify.com is what did the trick.  Checking the tool I use (HostsMan):

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.txt

It looks like this:

# 0.0.0.0 spclient.wg.spotify.com #[affects mobile app]

Got added at some point, and then commented out.  I was probably using an older copy of the file.

(hmmm... they won't let you delete comments)

Thank you so much for posting this! Totally saved me hours of fumbling around with reinstalling and AppData folders.

Suggested posts