Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify 1.0.x Feedback. HORRIBLE UPDATE.

Solved!

Spotify 1.0.x Feedback. HORRIBLE UPDATE.

So today I was listening music and appeared the bar telling to me that a new version was ready to install.

Is the worst update in the history of spotify, here is why.

I'm using windows 7.

No Apps

Not even an alert or something, they are gone.

Can't minimize to tray

With the old app, you can minimize the app to tray, and when you click on close (x) the app still playing music in background. Now, it doesn't

Fixed!

High RAM Usage.

Practically is the web player inside the "desktop" app. Is not native, is slower, and just opening it consumes 200MB of RAM. now It wont be possible to use it on older computers.

The scrolling is slower a little bit and is too clear, CHANGE THE COLOR!

I DON'T WANT A WEBPAGE INSIDE A DESKTOP APLICATION.

Partially Fixed. Performance is better now. Keep improving

Activity Feed

Is gone again. Don't you read our feedback? WE LIKE THIS FEATURE. Don't remove it.

They Fixed this.

Can't Deactivate webhelper

In older versions It was possible, I don't want that process in the background all the time.

Show/hide unplayable tracks

I like to know which songs I can't play. Bring this feature back.

Fixed!

This is what I found by now. I just, DON'T LIKE IT.

Miss the old old spotify 😞

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

"If you’re wondering, “Why did Spotify bother to rewrite their desktop app and make all these changes?” one of the main reasons was simple: To improve our ability to build new features faster."

I get rewriting apps - done that myself. But if we ever took away frequently used features and provided absolutely no features of greater value for the end users (and end users don't care that you'll be saving development costs - spare us the the "new features faster!" guff) our clients would be showing us the door.

View solution in original post

71 Replies

Hi there!

The 1.0.1 version will be released by 2015, Spotify choose some users as testers.

Maybe if you reinstall Spotify you can stay in the previous version.

You can download the desktop beta too.

Re:  1.0.1.805.

I cna't even get it to play properly.  The play progress option does not work (doesn't show the progress of the track as it plays and the total time of track and time left).  Sometimes if I try to stop play, it just continues.  It is very slow to respond and usually hangs up after I have tried a couple of options (try to move a song into a play list or navigate on "Discover".

I have tried uninstalling and then reinstalling.  This has resulted in the older version being installed, but as soon as I log out or close it, the new version reinstalls and I am back where I began.

I sent a message to the help people and just got an acknowledgement of receipt - no fix or advice.  This is maddening.

The 1.0.1 update is the new version that will be released to everyone in early 2015 once it's finished.

It is currently in somewhat of a "beta" state, and users are being selected at random (usually a very small percentage) to help test it out before everyone gets it. 

Regrading apps, those will not be coming back. Apps have been discontinued. Some form of the lyrics app is likely to stick around.

You can try reinstalling Spotify if you want the old version back. (I can't guarantee that it won't auto update again) 

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Anyway, I will be updated, I'll keep using it and giving feedback.

If this is some kind of a beta I havent agreed to be beta tester.

I have version 1.0.1.805.gd2412973 installed and that was an automatic update.

Cant understand why they removed the minimize to tray again because it's so much better to have the program that is allways open there.

I absolutely agree with the feedback in this topic.

It's such a pity to see that the apps have dissapeared... I really liked the Last.fm app for instance, because it actually gave me relevant recommendations as the Spotify recommendations function is horrible...

Apart from the missing apps, it's indeed really annoying that you can no longer minify Spotify to tray. Also: when I hover on the task/minified window, the song that is playing is no longer shown.

Maybe if you reinstall Spotify you can stay in the previous version.

No, I tried that but a day later I was back in the horrible beta version.

Hello: You have to use a little work around to stop the auto update if you do not want to be updated to the new version. A quick search for stopping auto update should get you there.

[sarcasm]

Wouldn't it be nice to have this in the preferences?

• Silently update to horrible beta versions: No
  • Silently update to new versions that no longer support a feature you love: No
  • Use a regular scrollbar instead of a tiny one with too little contrast: Yes!
  • Show album art in playlists: Yes!

[/sarcasm]

@Jay, that's actually not helpfull feedback. Most of the things said in this topic are that there are some really handy features missing, features that existed in the previous version.

Randomly picking beta users for some new crippled version is really bad practise, pointing them to some way to restore the previous version or disabling auto updates is kind of right up there. 

That maybe the case but spotify has always done random roll outs with new versions and features on the general user base free users and premium users both. I have gotten hit a couple of times with feature changes that others did not currently have, it is what it is. I suppose users could create an New Idea in the Ideas Board, but do a search first I think there a few of them thereabout about not doing auto updates like this. I suggested the work around as a means to stay off the update channel if users are on it and do not want to be. The devs see when users are on the update channel and they are not updating. The reason the app changed color scheme from the white blind version to now the darker version that for some odd reason users did want to get away from the white version, there were tons of users rolling back to the previous 0.8.0.xxx version and stopping auto updates with work arounds. The best way for the devs to get the idea about how users do not wish to be randomly picked for this version before it is fully ready is for users to roll back to the current version 0.9.5.27 or to the 0.9.10.14 I think it is before that, and stop auto updates with the known work arounds. I am just helping out on the boards, I do not work for spotify, I am an average spotify user just like everyone else. Sorry I could not be more help for the frustrated users.

Is it just me or is the Activity Feed bloody missing??

(thought this was a core feature... )

Mac OS 10.10.1

@Jay, you're right, and you do have good point. If you don't like it, just go back to the way it was before. I can also understand why Spotify selects random users to test a new version. I don't have to agree with it but I can understand it 😉 Sorry for respondig frustrated and thanks for your help!

Hello: If you go back to a previous 0.9.xxx version all of your playlists will be there as all that information is on the server isde. But please note you will have to use a work around to stop the auto update or the roll back version will just splash the update banner again and you will be back to the new stripped down version, whenever you restart the app again. Doing a search on the forums should reveal a few threads about stopping the auto update.

I got upgraded to this blasted "beta" as well, and I'm furious about it. Actually looking into alternatives to Spotify now. They exist, you know!

1. Unistal spotify

2. Search the web, download version 0.9.7.16 (or what ever version you prefer)

3. Instal spotify

4. Remove "update" app form spotify folder

And you are good to go. Thats what I did when this whole new "paint it black" piece of **bleep** came and now everything works just fine (excepts some minor bugs).

When im reading what guys from spotify are doing with these new updates really bums me up. Seems like they just dont care / understand nothing. Everytime i think "Well it cant be worse than earlier version" but no, they always **bleep** everything up. Thats the reason i stick with this old version.

While debugging network traffic at work I saw this Spotify request scrolling by:

GET http://zelda.spotify.net/public/client-upgrade/update.json HTTP/1.1

It timed out:

HTTP/1.1 502 Fiddler - Connection Failed
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 09:25:04 GMT
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
Connection: close
Cache-Control: no-cache, must-revalidate
Timestamp: 10:25:04.490

[Fiddler] The connection to 'zelda.spotify.net' failed. <br />Error: TimedOut (0x274c). <br />System.Net.Sockets.SocketException A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 172.16.99.52:80                                                                                                                                                                                         

Maybe this is an alternative way of preventing Spotify from upgrading: blocking the zelda.spotify.net host in your hosts file.

Quite ironic though that the Spotify client-upgrade server is broken...

Also I should have added all those users who do not wish you to be part of the rolling update with this semi beta version, at least until the full release of the app is ready should probable contact CS here https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/?contact

and fill out the contact form. If you get an automated response directing you back to the community boards reply back to that email, even if it is from a noreply and a customer support rep will get with you shortly. Some users did this when they lost the Discover feature and where able to get it restored for them and removed from the rolling test of the Highlights fearture that some users where getting.

@frankvaneykelen wrote:

Maybe this is an alternative way of preventing Spotify from upgrading: blocking the zelda.spotify.net host in your hosts file.

Did a test myself (reinstalled and watched Spotify's network traffic in Fiddler), and did not see any requests that looked like an update check, nor a request to download an updated version. Still the "restart to upgrade" notification appeared.

Suggested posts