Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify 1.0.x Feedback. HORRIBLE UPDATE.

Solved!

Spotify 1.0.x Feedback. HORRIBLE UPDATE.

So today I was listening music and appeared the bar telling to me that a new version was ready to install.

Is the worst update in the history of spotify, here is why.

I'm using windows 7.

No Apps

Not even an alert or something, they are gone.

Can't minimize to tray

With the old app, you can minimize the app to tray, and when you click on close (x) the app still playing music in background. Now, it doesn't

Fixed!

High RAM Usage.

Practically is the web player inside the "desktop" app. Is not native, is slower, and just opening it consumes 200MB of RAM. now It wont be possible to use it on older computers.

The scrolling is slower a little bit and is too clear, CHANGE THE COLOR!

I DON'T WANT A WEBPAGE INSIDE A DESKTOP APLICATION.

Partially Fixed. Performance is better now. Keep improving

Activity Feed

Is gone again. Don't you read our feedback? WE LIKE THIS FEATURE. Don't remove it.

They Fixed this.

Can't Deactivate webhelper

In older versions It was possible, I don't want that process in the background all the time.

Show/hide unplayable tracks

I like to know which songs I can't play. Bring this feature back.

Fixed!

This is what I found by now. I just, DON'T LIKE IT.

Miss the old old spotify 😞

71 Replies

Is there any way to view lyrics with spotify anymore?

Feeling sad now all apps are gone, spotify feels very basic now 😞

In 1.0.1 there is no way to view lyrics, but I heard there might be a way to view lyrics in a future update. Not too sure though 

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

So why is it not possible to install the Beta (1.0.x) alongside the stable (0.9.x) version anymore (on OS X)? Before the Beta app package was called SpotifyBeta.app and could be installed alongside. A was able to do it by manually changing the name of the 1.0.x version, but the two seem to interfere with eachothers' settings. Basically, after opening 1.0.x, I have to change back stuff in settings when I open 0.9.x.

I guess this was intentional, but shouldn't be called a beta program anymore then.

The Beta post still says:

"The Beta version will not remove the Desktop application you have installed, so you can switch back to it any time."

Which is wrong. It also says that the Feedback button is at the top, which is no longer the case. Keep things updated guys!

SpotCommander - The most elegant, intuitive, feature-rich & universal remote control for Spotify, exclusive for Linux users!

http://drownedinsound.com/community/boards/music/4430815

This worked for me, it's basically blanking out the update files. I'm sick of getting put into these groups without being asked. But no one upvoted my suggestion to opt-in and out of these groups, so hacking it is easier.

MattSuda escribió:

In 1.0.1 there is no way to view lyrics, but I heard there might be a way to view lyrics in a future update. Not too sure though 

So is not official.

darn, what are you thinking spotify developers?

You do everything that we don't want.

Please read our feedback.

You are ruining spotify.

@alv4 wrote:

MattSuda escribió:

So is not official.

darn, what are you thinking spotify developers?

You do everything that we don't want.

Please read our feedback.

You are ruining spotify.

Totally agree.

I don't understand why they're removing so much functionality. It's a big step backwards from the product I signed up for.

@olejon 

Thanks for mentioning this!

We're already aware that the desktop beta thread needs to be updated to reflect that the beta no longer installs separately.

With the recent Holidays, staff haven't had a chance to update it yet. Hopefully it'll be updated soon.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Move Fast And Break Things

Now I know why Spotify really likes breaking stuff in their desktop client! Photo seen in this article.

From the same article:

The problem is that tech companies — at least many of the social, software, and digital media startups I cover — move differently and have vastly different expectations than, say, widget-producing traditional companies. “Move fast and break things,” Facebook says! Digg sent me a sticker last month that said “**bleep** it, ship it!” After all, what’s the worst that can happen? You roll out some dumb, bad software update or hardware that nobody uses or you scale too big, too fast and your company goes under so you start another one. It’s software or soon-to-be-obsolete hardware, so who cares?!

This latest update is not usable.  Is there any method to roll back?

@dmilliorn wrote:

Google "how to prevent Spotify from updating" and you'll end up here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Horrible-update-0-8-8/m-p/280204#M3360

@frankvaneykelen wrote:

@dmilliorn wrote:

Google "how to prevent Spotify from updating" and you'll end up here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Horrible-update-0-8-8/m-p/280204#M3360

If that worked it would be great.  Tried it multiple times and it still auto updates on the next restart..  Re-installing Spotify entirely every time I use it is getting a little old 😞

Works On My Machine

@Phiiil wrote:
If that worked it would be great.  Tried it multiple times and it still auto updates on the next restart..  Re-installing Spotify entirely every time I use it is getting a little old 😞

That's a shame - it works for me and many others. Are you sure you made the Spotify_new.exe & Spotify_new.exe.sig read-only? Do you have these two 0 KB files in your "\AppData\Roaming\Spotify"?

spotify_new.PNG

@frankvaneykelen wrote:

Works On My Machine

@Phiiil wrote:

That's a shame - it works for me and many others. Are you sure you made the Spotify_new.exe & Spotify_new.exe.sig read-only? Do you have these two 0 KB files in your "\AppData\Roaming\Spotify"?

spotify_new.PNG

Had been making them just text files not realising.  Just did it again making sure they were SIG/Application and it seems to be working just fine.  Thanks!:)

@Phiiil wrote:

@frankvaneykelen wrote:

Works On My Machine

@Phiiil wrote:

spotify_new.PNG

Had been making them just text files not realising.  Just did it again making sure they were SIG/Application and it seems to be working just fine.  Thanks!:)

How did you change them from text files to SIG/Application?

@passingbat wrote:

Simply by renaming them (right-click, select rename, change .txt to .exe). Maybe you have to turn on showing file extensions first to make this work (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/show-hide-file-name-extensions).

@frankvaneykelen wrote:

@passingbat wrote:

Simply by renaming them (right-click, select rename, change .txt to .exe). Maybe you have to turn on showing file extensions first to make this work (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/show-hide-file-name-extensions).

Thanks. Presumably you chang one extension from .txt to .exe and the other from .txt to .sig?

Sorry for being a bit thick/caucious.

BTW the microsoft link didn't work but I found it via help on the PC.

@passingbat wrote:

Thanks. Presumably you chang one extension from .txt to .exe and the other from .txt to .sig?

Yes, that's what you should do!

Sorry about the link, I've fixed it in my post.

frankvaneykelen escribió:

@dmilliorn wrote:

I just did this. I can't with gthe new horrible version, and I see that they don't care about out feedback so I'll stay with the older version.

Weird, I am in the Beta program yet I haven't received any 1.0.1 update or whatnot. Still on 0.9.

It seems Spotify just randomly pick up random users from around the world to be their guinea pig instead of those who sign up willingly to do the Beta testing.

My issue with the latest desktop version is that it for some reason takes ages for tracks in playlists to load (the playlists that Spotify creates such as Best new metal tracks).

Also, the motherfuding PLAY QUEUE - it always takes me about 2 minutes to remember and find that blasted "burger" icon - which, as well as being pointlessly "where's Wally?" for such a major feature - is confusing as it misuses the much more well known UI mobile convention for "main menu".

Suggested posts