Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Bugs causing computer to crash

Solved!

Spotify Bugs causing computer to crash

I did not want to think it was true, but Spotify (as it is now) will cause your Computer to crash.

Today it happened twice. I had to do a system restore and and after a process of elimination it is the current free version that is the problem. Many and I do mean many bugs need to be worked out with the free version. I am gonna upgrade to a premium version to see if the same bugs are there. Instead of putting so much effort into continuing to get music to your servers (or whatever it is you doing, now). Your team needs to work on the code...Most user will be using the free version. This is a disappointment, because I like idea behind the app.

You can email for specifics, Spotify admin.

Sincerely

Jimbo9294@hotmail.com

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Spotify premium also causing my system to crash and restart - seems to be with the last update. Beforehand, everything was fine.

Any help or update would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

I'm having the same problem, also with windows 7 64bit. I have set spotify to start when starting the computer, and I saw spotify automatically being installed with a new version. Then the computer crashed, and ever since I can't start my computer other than in safe mode. Even in safe mode, starting spotify causes bluescreen.

Somebody has an idea what's going on!?

View solution in original post

75 Replies
Marked as solution

Spotify premium also causing my system to crash and restart - seems to be with the last update. Beforehand, everything was fine.

Any help or update would be appreciated.

Similar problem here, after a varying amount of time Spotify just locks up the system. Using Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate edition, all was fine until a few days ago.

I also have the same bugs since a few days, on Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate edition (genuine)

Using spotify randomly causes a system crash with a blue screen (seems to be usually after 1 to 20mn of usage), and often the next reboot will also does a bluescreen crash during windows booting.

This sort of stuff has been talked about in the other thread:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/Crashing-quot-blue-screen-of-death-quot/m-p/28961#M2...

IDEAS: Device Management | Recover Deleted Items

Please! Give "Kudos" to posts that you found helpful. Mark "Accept as Solution" if a post solved your issue!. Thank you!

Thanks neo-x,
Yet, I think two different problems are being discussed here. I never got the BSOD. I did run memory tests, all passed. The creative labs drivers may need updating, that could be an issue, maybe.
Although I still think there is an issue with most recent update. I will a clean install the app.
I will post an update.

Marked as solution

I'm having the same problem, also with windows 7 64bit. I have set spotify to start when starting the computer, and I saw spotify automatically being installed with a new version. Then the computer crashed, and ever since I can't start my computer other than in safe mode. Even in safe mode, starting spotify causes bluescreen.

Somebody has an idea what's going on!?

Yeah, mine's a different problem. I don't get BSOD, my computer just straight up locks up and freezes - the speaker makes a horrible blaring sound, I can't move the mouse or anything, I just have to shut it down and turn it back on.

It seems strange as Spotify was running absolutely fine before, then my hard drive failed about a week and a half ago. I ordered a new hard drive and installed it (so all of the other hardware is exactly the same), reinstalled Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit (genuine) and since then I encounter this problem.

I'd thought before it might be happening when there was a lot of bandwidth being used, for example it happened when I tried to play an online game with Spotify in the background, and also when I had a couple of large files downloading, but it's also happened when I'm just browsing in Chrome.

Has anyone checked the event logs for errors or sort? The faster someone has hard data on the issue the faster the problem might be closer to being solved. I for one haven't been able to replicate any freezups or BSOD's with my systems.

IDEAS: Device Management | Recover Deleted Items

Please! Give "Kudos" to posts that you found helpful. Mark "Accept as Solution" if a post solved your issue!. Thank you!

Im getting the same problem for the past 2 weeks. Here's what they had me try and I did them all and same thing. I can go 1 minute or I can go an hour then it locks up....or 2 times it's caused a blue screen memory dump. Its gotta be Spotify cause every thing has worked great up till 2 weeks or so on my computer.

Please try each of the following to see if they solve the problem. After each one, check to see if it's helped. Hopefully you won't need to go through them all.

1) Open Spotify and go to Edit » Preferences. Scroll down and disable the "Hardware acceleration" option.

2) Update all of your drivers and run Windows Update, then restart your computer.

3) Try a clean installation of Spotify (make sure you complete all steps before trying Spotify again):

1. Quit Spotify (File » Exit)
2. Uninstall Spotify (Start » Settings » Control Panel » Add or Remove Programs » Spotify)
3. Erase any installer or file related to Spotify.
4. Check Spotify is listed in your firewall exception list
5. Check your antivirus and Windows software are both up-to-date
6. Restart your computer
7. Download and install the latest version of Spotify: https://www.spotify.com/download/
8. Add Spotify to your firewall and antivirus exception list.

4) Finally, if the previous steps have failed, try the following:

1. Restart your PC.
2. Right-click on the Spotify icon in the start up menu.
3. Select "Properties" and under the tab "Compatibility Mode" uncheck "Run this program in compatibility mode"
4. Start Spotify.

If you are still having this issue after trying this, could you please send us a screen shot of your task manager on performance while running Spotify and Facebook.

OH! Do wanna add my desktop is a Windows 64 bit machine with Windows 7. On the other hand my laptop works great! It's a Toshiba Netbook and uses Windows Starter Home. Maybe it's a 64bit issue? Least reading over the net the past few days it seems it is to me...?

Seeing how this serious problem goes back months if not years, it is really disappointing Spotify has not fixed this terrible bug. It happens to me too, but I guess my system has better memory management because I don't get BSOD. Instead, Spotify memory usage keeps growing until it is over 1.3GB, which is a sign there is something terribly wrong with the application. In some systems it causes Windows to crash, in others it makes the system slow or freeze. In my case, Spotify just crashes without affecting the OS. I have Win 7 x64 with 4GB RAM. This is a widespread issue that makes the application virtually useless. I can only use it for like 20 mins. I rather use Pandora until Spotify fixes this terrible problem.

In another computer I have, Spotify works much better. Also running Win 7 x64 with 8GB RAM. However, while it does not crash, Spotify takes a huge about of RAM, around 200MB. In comparison, iTunes takes about 50MB or 70MB at most. Even Firefox which is a known memory hog, takes 150MB at most when having several tabs open. There is definitely something wrong with Spotify that nobody cares to admit. 200MB of RAM is way too much for this application. That is 4 times more RAM than iTunes usually takes. I've never seen any application take over 1GB of RAM, even the heavyweight applications like Adobe Premiere or Photoshop, their latest CS6 x64 versions don't even come close to using that much RAM.

I was seriously considering Spotify premium, but this terrible bug forced me to reconsider. When they fix the bug, then I will go Premium.

I too have this problem, my computer freezes up with windows 7, and I have to restart it. I would very much like to use spotify for long periods of time.

Does anyone know if the crashes happen while spotify is scanning your local hard drive to find music? I believe the problem
Is related to that.

I am having the crashing problem spotify premium ,running Win 7 home premium  64 Bit 8 gig DDR 3 ram quad core , tried every thing uninstalling  spotify  , even formated the harddrive 3 times load programs back no problem until spotify is reloaded and used, think i will have to cancel payments to spotify ,shame.

I realized a few weeks ago that my BSOD crash was not related to spotify, but to a bad ethernet driver. After uninstalling some stuff and updating my driver, all went perfectly.

I run lots of other programs only have truble with spotify .

So how can I correct this problem? I have been trying to delete Spotify from my computer but, I can't find a way to delete and start over. Can anybody help or have an answer?

Its true!! Was happening to my pc so I uninstalled it and pc works fine again then put the app on my iphone 4s when i plug my iphone in now it crashes my pc just instant off this app is dangerous!

Suggested posts