Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Connect not working desktop

Spotify Connect not working desktop

Hi

My desktop app (Windows) isn't synchronizing the playing music by Spotify Connect. In phone app and the browser works fine, but in the desktop version not works.

I already tried to reinstall (Microsoft Store and Spotify Website) and not fix.

Version Spotify for Windows 1.2.5.1006.g22820f93
Windows 10
Brazil
Top Answer
Lyubka

Hey there folks,

Thank you for keeping in touch.

We appreciate all the troubleshooting you've tried so far and all the details you've shared with us. Our developers have looked into this, but could not identify the issue on our end, so it's likely that the issue is with your individual set-up and we'd suggest that you get in touch with the manufacturer of the specific device about this. They know the specifics of each device and can help you further.

As models and specific set ups still work but from our end we cannot guarantee all devices will. This depends on multiple factors. Firmware updates on receivers/speakers and app updates from Spotify's end sometimes get out of tune which might cause issues.

We always work on improving the user's experience and we advise that you keep your Spotify up to date with the latest version, so that you don't miss out on any fixes and improvements.

Hope this helps. Take care 🙂

56 Replies

Hey @Nevallem,

Thank you for reaching out here in the Community.

First off, we'd recommend that you try restarting your router to see if that makes a difference for you.

It's also a good idea to go in the Desktop app's Settings and double check if proxy settings are are set to default (auto-detect).

Lastly, we'd suggest that you disable any antivirus software temporarily to see if that helps - if it does, please set the Spotify app as an exception. 

On another note, could you please let us know if you're able to see your devices in the Connect picker? 

We'll be on the lookout for you reply. 

LyubkaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

HI Lyubka!

Thanks. I've tried all theses solutions, but none work for me. I did a clean install, install old versions, disable firewall (i don't have any antivirus but Windows Defender), setted proxy settings to auto-detect, change DNS server, etc.

Besides, after reinstall the Spotify i identify that i'm not able to dowload the musics (they just don't download). Played podcast also isn't marked as played (only in desktop version, after reinstall).

I test log in my account through Windows Sandbox. I've download the Spotify in Windows Sandbox and works fine, both the Spotify Connect and download. I think it has something to do with some network configuration.

I see my devices in the Connect picker only using the web player or phone app. Using desktop app not show nothing.

I'm having this same issue with the connect not working, and have followed the same steps. I can even play music on my phone or web player at the same time as the desktop app with no issues. It seems like the desktop app doesn't recognize any of the other devices that I use.

Hey folks,

Thank you for keeping in contact and for the info sent.

To continue investigating this case, check if the option "Enable hardware acceleration" is turned on. If so, turn it off, restart your PC and try again.

Also, would you mind checking if using the Web Player instead of the desktop app makes any difference? This will give us a better look at the issue.

Lastly, if you're using a VPN, we'd recommend turning it off to check if it could be related to some network restrictions.

We'll be on the lookout. 

OscarDCModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi OscarDC!

I tried disable "hardware acceleration" and restart my PC, but doesn't work too.

Using Web Player instead desktop app works fine. As I had said, using web player, phone app or even desktop app on Windows Sandbox (a feature of Windows) works fine.

Hey @Nevallem,

Thanks for getting back to us and for the troubleshooting you've tried so far.

Could you try a different network connection to see if the Desktop App will behave the same way?

We'd also suggest that you try the steps mentioned in this article under "Don't see your device".

Lastly, on Windows another solution for this can be updating your sound drivers. Read more about how to do that here.

Let us know how it goes. 

LyubkaModerator

Also experiencing this. Same version. Everything was working fine before a few days ago. Definitely a Spotify problem and nothing to do with my home network.

I uninstalled and re-downloaded the latest version. The download link on the Spotify website didn't give me the latest version however. After installing, I had to go to Help > About Spotify and download the update, which put me on version "Spotify for Windows 1.2.6.863.ge7902f05". The Connect issue is still present. Connect works fine on the web player in Google Chrome.

I've tried logging out and back in on all devices. They're all running the latest versions, with no available updates.

The problem appears to be to do with the WebSocket connection that Spotify uses to communicate client state. The web client correctly receives the state change messages whenever I play/pause on my phone. The only messages that I can see in the log for the Windows client are the ping/pong messages.

Hey @Deitrix4657,

Thanks for your reply and for all the info shared.

At the moment, it's possible to download the app from both the Microsoft Store and our Web page. So in this case, try to uninstall our web page version and try installing the one from the Microsoft one. Give it a try and let us know how it goes. 

Just to confirm, do you use a VPN? If yes, try switching it off.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator

Hi @Lyubka.

I tried all these solutions, with no success.

Hi there @Nevallem,

This issue occurs when you have traffic through certain networking ports blocked on your network, either by a VPN or a network firewall. What you can try is to connect your PC to another network and see if the Desktop app functions properly. You can try connecting to a mobile hotspot, if your PC has access to WiFi.

Hope this helps.

AlexModerator

My spotify desktop app doesn't show my other connected devices, but it shows everything on the web app. Doesn't even show up as a device on my mobile. When trying yo play a new song that isn't downloaded, it doesn't do anything. Internet is fine as on mobile it works well with the same wifi. Have tried logging out and back in, reinstalling, going offline for a while and back online, but nothing works and spotify is barely usable on desktop.

Hi there, 

There are a few things you can try to troubleshoot this issue:

1. Clear cache: Clearing the cache can sometimes help resolve issues with the app. To clear the cache, go to Settings > Advanced Settings > Clear Cache.

2. Disable any VPNs or proxies: If you are using a VPN or proxy, try disabling it temporarily to see if it resolves the issue. Sometimes VPNs or proxies can interfere with the app's ability to detect other devices.

3. Check your firewall settings: Make sure that Spotify is allowed through your computer's firewall. If it's blocked, it may not be able to connect to other devices.

I had this problem for a long time on my old laptop till I realized Kaspersky was blocking a lot of Spotify’s permissions.

Keep me PUPdated,

-Prague the Dog

PragueRising Star
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi Prague,

Already cleared cache multiple times.

VPN isn't enabled or even running.

Firewall was disabled a bunch of times for testing, still nothing. Problem persists on any network as well.

Thank you for letting me know that you've already tried those steps. Here are some additional things you can try to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Check if your desktop app is up to date. You can do this by going to the "Help" menu and selecting "Check for Updates".

2. Try restarting your computer and modem/router to see if that resolves the issue.

3. Try resetting your Spotify password, as this can sometimes resolve login issues. You can do this by going to the Spotify website, clicking "Log In", and then clicking "Forgot your password?".

4. Make sure your device is properly connected to your WiFi network. You can try disconnecting and reconnecting to your network to see if that resolves the issue.

5. If you have any security software installed on your computer, try temporarily disabling it to see if that resolves the issue.

6. Try using the web player on a different browser to see if the issue persists.

Let’s try to get to the bottom of this,

-Prague the Dog

PragueRising Star

Hi Prague,

Desktop app is up to date. Even uninstalled it and downloaded the newest version.

Already restarted my computer about 5 times this week. Also reset my router and set it up from scratch, still nothing.

Password has been reset, signed out of all devices and back in, nothing.

Network is fine, only 5ms latency which is fine for my network. Line is 300mbps down and 150mbps up.

I only use Windows Defender, disabling it does nothing for spotify.

The web version works on all browsers and is picked up on my mobile app.

In a few weeks I'm going to try a complete fresh windows install on my computer, even downloading apps from scratch.

Okay cool beans. My lord your upload is out of this world, low key jelly 😄 

I’m going to keep looking around for more options for you, let me know what the clean sweep comes of it.

Make today a great one dood,

-Prague the Dog

PragueRising Star

Hi folks!

This could have something to do with your WMI Repository, so you can try resetting it by following the steps provided by a Community user here.

In case the issue persists, please share the following (if you haven't already) so we can investigate further:

• Your OS version.
  • The version of Spotify you're running.
  • All troubleshooting you've tried so far.

Keep us posted on this. Cheers!

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

I'm having same problem since January, I have searched whole internet, even asked in this community, nothing works. It just suddenly stopped working, definitely Spotify has changed something

Suggested posts