Premium

Country

Germany

Device

PC

Operating System

Win10

My Question or Issue

I have the strange issues that since some weeks the Spotify app on Windows (latest version Spotify für Windows 1.1.88.612.gcc529952) is behaving odd.

First of all, the Spotify Connect feature does not work anymore. I can see a few of my devices to connect to, but not all. If I click on one of the devices, it seems to try to connect, but it does not.

I already tried a complete clean re-install with uninstalling, removing the library folder, restart and re-install. This did not help.

I also tried reconnecting my devices, which also did not help.

From my smartphone or tablet everything works fine as it should. However, my PC is not appearing in the list of devices on the smartphone.

I am not quite sure, if this started when I changed my password for my account or if this is not connected.

Playing music, e.g. starting a playlist also does not work correctly, I need at least two tries to start streaming (click on the play button on the list - nothing happens but the play control button changes to "pause", click on "next" -> stops, click again on play button of the list -> music starts playing).

Any idea? This is really annoying 😞

9 Replies

Kiril

Hey there @undersound,

Thanks for posting in the Community!

Can you confirm that this is still occurring for you? Make sure that you're using the same account on all devices (your desktop in particular) and that they are all using the same local network.

I read that you've made a reinstall already, which is a valid troubleshooting step but it might be worthwhile to repeat that and follow our steps for a clean reinstall here to get rid of any cached files that might be causing the trouble for your desktop version.

Hope this helps and does the trick for you, reach out if you need more help!

Kiril Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

undersound

Hey Kyril,

sorry, I didn't have the chance to take care of this until now. Thank you for your reply!

I followed the uninstall instructions once more and downloaded + reinstalled the latest version from https://www.spotify.com/de/download/windows/

I logged in with the account used on all other devices.

Still the issue with "connect" persists. I can't see all devices nor can I connect to a device shown in the list.

I also tried it with the AppStore version, but same issue.

So unfortunately no - it did not solve the issue...

Best,

Thomas

Alex

Hey there @undersound,

Thanks for the post.

Can you make sure that no VPN is switched on? 

You can also try and connect both your PC and your phone for example, to a mobile hotspot WiFi and check if the other device shows in the Connect Picker. This way you can check if the issue is network related.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

AlexModerator

undersound

Hey Alex,

first I want to mention, that VPN was never a problem the past 5 years (with different providers).

However, I tested with switched off VPN, tunneling and also different locations without any change in behavior.

All devices are connected through the same router via cable or Wifi.

I also tested if there is a difference if I sign in via Facebook or with the device password.

Best,

Thomas

Alex

Hey @undersound,

Thanks for the reply and the info.

Can you let us know if you've tried connecting your devices to a different network? This will help us understand if the issue is related to your home network or to the devices.

Looking forward to your reply.

AlexModerator

undersound

Hey Alex,

unfortunately the PC can't be connected to a different network, only the other devices can be. They work correct in every network.

At the moment the PC also acts like it should - not sure if there was a setting changed in between or an update was provided. I hope it stays the way it is 😄 

So right now this ticket can be closed I guess.

Thanks a lot for your patience and help!

undersound

So, well, it seems like it was a hickup - now the behaviour is again like before 😕 

This worked spotless for years, and now this annyoing issue without a hint what's going wrong...

It might be related to VPN, at least sometimes if I disconnect and reconnect the Spotify App seems to get some information it does not before, since the devices are showing. But this does not work always and is of course not an acceptable solution.

I added Spotify to Split Tunneling to not use the VPN, but it seems this did not help.

Jeremy

Hi there @undersound,

We're sorry to see that this occurs again. Let's continue to investigate this together 🙂

You should be able to see devices with active sessions and control playback through the PC once the session has started.

VPN connections are generally not supported and are known to cause issues. It sounds like the Spotify client has difficulties establishing the proper network connections to discover the available devices. The best way to test this out would be to try and connect the PC to a different network, but we understand how this is logistically inconvenient. It would be worth to try and set up a similar environment though.

Can you turn off all VPNs on the network as a whole and just for testing purposes any AV and Firewalls (remember to turn them back on afterwards). Log out of the app once, then back in, then out again. Restart the PC while in this "open" state. Start Spotify on the PC and Log in. Then before doing anything else, just start a playback session on a smart speaker through your phone for example. It would also be great if you can let us know which device/devices you're trying to connect to.

If the connection is shown on the PC app and you can remote control it, try disconnecting via the PC and connecting again through it. The current session ticket should still be active on the network, allowing the PC to reestablish the connection.

Let us know how it goes so that we can continue to assist you if you need us to 🙂

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

undersound

Hey Jeremy,

thanks for coming back!

As already said - VPN was never a problem in the past 5 years or so. 

The problem seems also not to be "stable" - most of the time it occurs, but like today everything works as expected.

If the problem occurs it seems it can be solved by disabling and reenabling the VPN connection. Spotify shows then the list of devices as expected.

I just don't get, why all of a sudden there is a problem with VPN.

I mainly connect to an AV receiver, sometimes I use some Echo Dot speakers. They are all in the same network. The PC is the only device with VPN connection.

I'm going to give the PC a clean os installation soon anyways, maybe that solves the issue - let's see.

Best,

Thomas

Suggested posts