Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Desktop - Local files make app HORRIBLY slow

Spotify Desktop - Local files make app HORRIBLY slow

Hey guys,

I've never had many problems using local files with Spotify Desktop, but recently I've experienced massive performance problems with my local files, which consist of about 46,000 songs. The app gets unresponsive and I cannot search my local database for any songs. Moreover, playing regular online music gets impossible, too. As I said, in earlier versions there have never been any problems with that.

Is reverting to an earlier version an option?

5 Replies

Hi!

Sounds bad!
Reinstalling Spotify miiight help. Here's how to do it.

If that didn't solve it, please post an issue to the Ongoing Issues board (I didn't find a relevant issue)! And yes, it is possible to revert back to older Spotify, but you'll need to reinstall that older version of Spotify. 🙂

After you've reinstalled, go to %Appdata%\Spotify on your file explorer and create an empty text file there (right-click - New - Text Document). Name it as Spotify_new.exe, then right-click on that file, choose Properties and make it Read-Only.
Make sure that your file explorer shows common file extensions, toggle it on Organize - Folder and Search Options. If you don't, your file will be Spotify_new.exe.txt, which fails its purpose. 🙂
Some people suggest making a Spotify_new.exe.sig too, but my experience says there's no need.
If there are already some similarly named files, delete those.

But do post the issue!

(you have a massive library! I am quite amazed... What do you listen to?)

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

After you've reinstalled, go to %Appdata%\Spotify on your file explorer and create an empty text file there (right-click - New - Text Document). Name it as Spotify_new.exe, then right-click on that file, choose Properties and make it Read-Only.

Make sure that your file explorer shows common file extensions, toggle it on Organize - Folder and Search Options. If you don't, your file will be Spotify_new.exe.txt, which fails its purpose. 🙂

Does this belong to installing an older version or should I do that when reinstalling the latest one? For me as a computer scientist, this sounds like preventing auto-installation of updates ...

(you have a massive library! I am quite amazed... What do you listen to?)

Mostly Rock and Metal now, but there is still much from my Rap days in it.

The reinstallation of the latest one was suggested to try if maybe something went wrong with the updating process. Reinstalling Spotify often helps get rid of problems.

No need to tamper with  files on this occasion. 😉

But if the previous method didn't work and you want to install an older version + stay on it (Spotify automatically updates it otherwise), then those files are necessary.

It is, in fact, preventing automatic updates.

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thanks a lot. I posted it in Ongoing Issues, but no reactions so far.

I too experienced stability issues with a library of 22,000+ songs. Downgraded to version 0.9.15.27 and have been running with it for a few months now without issues. However I would love to use a newer version if possible, please let me know if you've had any luck with a later/more recent version.

Suggested posts