Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Desktop Randomly Syncs with Phone's Volume at Ramdom

Spotify Desktop Randomly Syncs with Phone's Volume at Ramdom

I recently started noticing that my volume in the Spotify desktop app would adjust at seemingly random times. I eventually figured out that the volume in the desktop app was syncing with my phone's volume, even when the Spotify app wasn't directly opened. The most confusing part of this problem is that it happens even when my phone is locked, which leads me to believe this problem occurs when the background process on my phone detects that there is another device active on my Spotify account. Does anyone else have this issue, and if so, know how to fix it?

Thank you for your time.

Plan

Premium

Operating System

Windows 10, Android 10

14 Replies

I also am having this issue very often and it's very annoying 😕 I've been looking for a fix for months and still no result.. Spotify really needs to fix this or atleast give as an option to disable this "feature".

Hey there @tomskrastins

Thanks for reaching out about this, and welcome to the Community 🙂

Would you mind letting us know if you've tried any troubleshooting steps? This will help us give you better suggestions. 

We'll be on the lookout for your reply. 

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I don't really know what to try to be honest.. I've tried just force closing the app, but that often doesn't work. I've tried turning off the Wi-Fi so Spotify Desktop and Spotify on my iPhone isn't on the same network, but that's about it.

Hi there @tomskrastins,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

In this case we suggest that you perform a clean reinstall on both devices to make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

If that doesn't do the trick, can you log in with another account on the devices - such as a friend's or a family member's to see if the issue persist? This will help us understand if it's account related or not.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I tried a clean install, that didn't work. But it only happens if it's the same account. It's like my phone acts as a remote control for my spotify on desktop.

Hi again @tomskrastins,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

Just to confirm, if you log in with a different account on the devices you don't experience the same issue?

Cheers!

JeremyModerator

I do not.

Hey there @tomskrastins

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Could you let us know if this happens when you open the app on both devices or it is also happening when you don't open the app on your phone at all?

Additionally, would you mind letting us know what you experienced when you turned off the WiFi on your phone? Did it make any difference?

We'll be on the lookout.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

It happens even if my phone app is force closed. Turning the Wi-Fi off didn't do much. It fixed the problem for like 15 minutes and then it happened again.

Hey @tomskrastins,

Thanks for the reply.

Could you try running the steps from this article 🙂

Your account may be logged on an additional device, which is connected and running. 

Logging out everywhere will assure that you're logged on only on your computer. After that try streaming some music without logging in on the phone. Next, log in the phone and see if the issue comes back.

Cheers.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I have a similar problem when Spotify sync volume back from iMac and sets iPhone volume to the max right in the middle of the night.

The worst thing happened with me while I was biking and listening music in iAirPods and Spotify did sync volume to a 100% making me nearly crash into the car. Please turn the sync off or make it optional. It is so easy to do. I am an engineer and I know that for sure. 

My Wishlist app for Spotify https://spotify.space/

Hi there @zoonman,

Thank you for your reply in this thread.

Can you confirm what troubleshooting steps you've taken that's been provided in this thread so that we can continue helping you in the best way?

Keep us posted 🙂

Take care!

JeremyModerator

Jeremy, I tried cleaning up. You know there is not that much options on iPhone tho.

The problem is not the cache, the problem in bad code that syncs volume between devices.
Please, make volume control on iPhone optional. Keep EQ/Normalization but don't touch system volume. Just let it work as it works with other apps.
My Wishlist app for Spotify https://spotify.space/

Hey @zoonman,

Thanks for keeping in touch.

Can you let us know if that happens when both devices are connected to the same network? We'd also like to know if that happens only with Spotify or with any other apps.

Keep us posted.

CarlosEModerator

Suggested posts