Premium

Country

USA

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Whenever I try to play a song on Spotify that isn't already saved in My Library or one of my playlists, the song will not play, with the bottom bar not even showing the information or album art for the song (image attached). All my playlists work fine; it only seems to be songs that are not in my library that won't play. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Spotify, but to no avail. When I reinstall, the songs not in my playlist will play for my first session after reinstalling, but after a short while, the songs proceed to not work again. I have disabled hardware acceleration, I have re-enabled hardware acceleration; nothing seems to work. All songs work on the Android app, but no songs at all will play on Spotify Web, not even the ones that are in My Library. I have searched the internet for hours, and have found no solution.

{75931DAB-4FD8-4052-92BA-FC1144839501}.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I got a laptop from a friend of mine and I had the EXACT same problem up until yesterday. If you have used any 3rd party software for an ad blocker in the past (as he apparently did), you need to go into your hosts file and delete the lines that have spotify in them. This could also be an issue with your anti virus blocking connection to spotify, but it was the former problem for me.

It's worth noting even if you deleted the ad blocker or no longer use it, if you had it installed at all, this could be your solution.

View solution in original post

21 Replies

Bump
I'm having the same issue. Literally the exact same. I couldn't find a support ticket until now. Hopefully it's resolved soon because it's the most frustrating thing ever.

I'm having the exact same issue and can't find a solution anywere! I've heard that installing quicktime might work, but I tried and it didn't 😞

Marked as solution

I got a laptop from a friend of mine and I had the EXACT same problem up until yesterday. If you have used any 3rd party software for an ad blocker in the past (as he apparently did), you need to go into your hosts file and delete the lines that have spotify in them. This could also be an issue with your anti virus blocking connection to spotify, but it was the former problem for me.

It's worth noting even if you deleted the ad blocker or no longer use it, if you had it installed at all, this could be your solution.

Where would the host file be? You mean for the adblocker itself? I pay for premium now but a few years ago I had used one.

That was it! I had installed an adblocker several years ago, but uninstalled it a long time ago (as I got Premium), so I didn't think that could be the problem. Sure enough, it was. Thanks a ton!

Also, the hosts file is in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc, for those who need to modify/remove it.

You're a lifesaver dude, I've been suffering for weeks now. Thank you so much!

I thought that could be a problem modify these files, but it actually worked. Thanks

Im not sure that is the right hosts file for me, as each line is commented out and there are no entries for spotify. I even tried deleting the hosts file and still didn't work. I am not sure my anti virus is blocking it because it is just windows defender, how can you tell if that connection is being blocked?

Are you sure that you are having the exact same problem as I am? Also, your antivirus wouldn't have anything to do with it, it would be a specific Spotify adblocker that would be causing the problem.

I think it is the same problem, Spotify won't play any song unless I upload it from my computer.

It might be different, as I previously could also add songs to my library or to one of my playlists, and I would be able to play it. Your problem might be related though, I'm not sure.

Wow thanks man, I was really stuck until I found this post and deleted the hosts file. Now Spotify works 100% perfectly and seamlessly. I guess it was payback for using an ad blocker oops

My problem might be different, I can't even play songs that I import into the library.

Jesus dude, you are litteraly a life saver, had this problem for a while now, never figured out how to fix it, thank you so much.

yes .. Same here .. Big help needed please.. i am a Premium user

spotipoblem.PNG

The hosts file solution worked for me, check the replies above.

Yes, open the hosts file with Notepad++ or just plain Notepad and delete the Spotify reference. That should fix the problem.

Go into your firewall/protection software and make an execption for spotify. This varies for each software, but you can just google 'How to make an exception in (x protection software)'

Suggested posts