Free

Country

United States

Device

Laptop

Operating System

Windows 8

My Question or Issue

Whenever I open the Spotify desktop or web browser app, I can't play any song I search for. All that happens when I click play is the image that normally shows what album the song is from, is just a black square with a grey circle in it, similar to what hapens when a song is unavailable. The progress bar doesn't move, and there is no title or artist shown. However, I'm able to play songs that I have downloaded to the computer. Furthermore, while I can find songs by searching for them, playlists that I've made as well as playlists generated by Spotify show up as empty.

I have restarted the app and redownloaded it numerous times, and have even made a new account to solve the issue, but nothing has worked. This has occured for several days, so restarting my computer hasn't fixed the issue either.

Hopefully someone can come up with a solution.

5 Replies

Have exactly the same problem from weeks! I downoladed everyday a new version of Spotify couse i saw that for a day was working, but today when i downloaded it again no songs started (as you said, remain black) and my all saved music disappeared! 

Is now really annoying, i had do cancel my premium account couse i can't use the App anymore!

Same problem, but I still can hear (only) the songs that I had in my library. Anything that I don't have in any playlist doesn't open, and new playlists shows "empty".

Hi! I have exactly the same problem as you for a week now. I have restarted my laptop several times, and I uninstalled and installed Spotify three times, but nothing works. The playlists I created are empty. When I search for a song in the search bar, it won't play it. This happens on my Spotify app on my laptop and on the web browser...

Have you found a solution yet?  I'm getting more and more frustrated!

Having the exact same issue on my PC. Installing and reinstalling does nothing, and none of the files I'm trying to play are local files. I already checked the firewalls and they are set to let Spotify through. It's weird that it's happening in both the desktop app and the browser web app, but it's working totally fine on my phone.

My saved artists and albums also won't show up, as if I haven't added any. But on my phone, it shows up fine.

ss (2019-03-20 at 10.33.04).png

Hi! I contacted Spotify today and they gave me this advice, maybe it can help:

- Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)

- go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

- Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open

- When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com

- Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0

- (this is important) If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them.

- Save your changes and restart Spotify.

Hope it helps!

Suggested posts