Free

Country

Germany

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows

My Question or Issue

My Spotify Hasn't been working for one or two months and when i try to reinstall it, its still the same problem  also web player doesn't work. All of the songs are gone, i can see a few of them but when i klick on the play/stop button i just get this picture of a CD,the favorite button, the two skip buttons and the play/stop button *as seen in the picture *  i already tried to change things in the options, but this didn't change anything on my phone spotify works without any problems * i also tried to install it through the Microsoft store, also didnt work please help me to fix the issue, i would be very happy if someone could find a way to fix it

Spotify fehler.PNG

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey there @Zoombiie!

This a known bug with the desktop app and Spotify is investigating the issue. There is a workaround which seems to be working for some users. Can you try the following steps:

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
  2. go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them.
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify.

Hope that solves the issue! Let me know if you have further questions. There is also an open issue about this here where you can track it and vote for it so it catches more attention. I hope this will get fixed on Spotify's end soon.

Have a nice day 🙂

View solution in original post

16 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey there @Zoombiie!

This a known bug with the desktop app and Spotify is investigating the issue. There is a workaround which seems to be working for some users. Can you try the following steps:

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
  2. go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them.
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify.

Hope that solves the issue! Let me know if you have further questions. There is also an open issue about this here where you can track it and vote for it so it catches more attention. I hope this will get fixed on Spotify's end soon.

Have a nice day 🙂

Thanks i did everything and its working agian, finally i can hear Gorillaz agian, have a nice day

@Zoombiie

Your welcome mate! Cheers 🙂

This worked for me! Thanks a lot ❤️

THANK YOU.

I suspect this is to do with spotify ad blocking tools used in the past (I now pay for premium anyway).

@Mantisentil I LOVE YOU!!!!!! I have searched for weeks for a solution. Out if interest why would that spotify text be in that file?

Hey huge thanks man it worked for me :))

Oh em gee: YES finally it works again

Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you!

THANKS DUDE , FINALLY IT WORKS !!!!

I have used your method and it totally worked. Thank you very much! ❤️

So what if there isn't anything about spotify mentioned in that file we were directed to? I might have gotten to the file in the wrong way but mine seems very empty of site data. 

Hi @Tcwhiterabbit!

Could you let us know a bit more about what's happening on your end? Do you get a specific error message when trying to play something on Spotify or are the tracks in your playlists gone? A screenshot / screen recording would be greatly appreciated as it would allow us to get a clear understanding of your issue. Feel free to also mention any other troubleshooting you've done so we avoid repeating the steps.

In any case, if you couldn't find any Spotify entries in the hosts file, you can try the following:

1. Fully close the Spotify app (make sure it's not running in the Task Manager) and go to C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\.
  2. There you'll find a file called prefs, which holds info about the currently logged in account. Simply delete it.
  3. While in the Spotify folder, you'll also find a Users folder. Open it and delete its contents as well.
  4. Restart the Spotify app.

Note that you'll be logged out and your settings will be reset, so you'll have to adjust them again. If you had music downloaded for offline listening, you'll have to re-download it as well. Your library, however, will not be affected, so no worries there.

Let us know how it goes. We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

Cheers!

YordanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thanks a lot, it worked !

when i try it it says it’s a sample file 

Hey @aocnc

Thanks for reaching out to the Community. 

In order to not repeat ourselves could you let us know what troubleshooting steps you tried so we can suggest something else to try. You can check the thread to see what the other mods have mentioned. 

Keep us in the loop.

MartinModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts