Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Music not playing, cannot see Radio.

Solved!

Spotify Music not playing, cannot see Radio.

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Device

Desktop

Operating System

Windows 10 Home v1809

My Question or Issue

Whenever I play a song on Spotify, it does not play at all, the song duration stays at 0:00 and nothing plays.
I have re-installed Spotify probably 5 times now, I've installed from the Windows Store too, and I have deleted all related files to Spotify in the cache and registery editor. 
When I re-install Spotify and play a song it plays for about 5 seconds then says "Can't play current song." and then continues to the 0:00 thing.
I have checked my host file, it is entirely empty, there is nothing in it.
I have restarted my computer vairous times.
Firewall/Windows Defender is completely disabled.

I have tried the tricks posted here such as enabling/disabling hardware acceleration, etc. 

I have no clue why this is occuring to me, can anyone at all help?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

So I finally found out a solution after hours and hours of troubleshooting, and I just said "f**k it" and deleted ALL of the files in "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc" (where the host file is) and all of a sudden my Spotify started working.
I'd like to mention that I checked my host file and there was nothing in it, it was wiped clean. However for some reason once I deleted all of the files there the music began to work and play. 

I went through all of the files and every single one of them were at default settings, so I'm genuinely unsure why it wasn't working, however this was my solution, hope it works for some. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Also some extra information I forgot to provide, Spotify works perfectly fine on my mobile device, so I know it's something to do with my PC.

I have tried using the web player and the same issue occurs, 0:00 duration and no radio.

Update 2: I have tried using a VPN to listen to music and it DOES work leading me to thing I have been IP banned from using Spotify (?) for some reason? Or spotify is blocking my connection.

Same exact issue on my end as well, though works fine on mobile on the same internet connection. I've uninstalled and gone as far to download Spotify directly from the Windows store without any success. I've got no firewalls blocking it or anything, and searching for music is not an issue, only playing music. Using a VPN hasn't solved my issue though which is peculiar.

Edit: does work fine on another account on the same computer. Guess I'll meddle with my account settings for a bit.

Edit 2: Web player has same issue as normal desktop Spotify.

Update, it is working now. I went under my account settings on the Spotify website, went under offline devices, and removed my computer from the list. 

Edit: Only playing songs for about 5 seconds, then giving me an error of "Can't play the current song."

Marked as solution

So I finally found out a solution after hours and hours of troubleshooting, and I just said "f**k it" and deleted ALL of the files in "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc" (where the host file is) and all of a sudden my Spotify started working.
I'd like to mention that I checked my host file and there was nothing in it, it was wiped clean. However for some reason once I deleted all of the files there the music began to work and play. 

I went through all of the files and every single one of them were at default settings, so I'm genuinely unsure why it wasn't working, however this was my solution, hope it works for some. 

What worked for me was deleting what was mentioned spotify in the hosts file, which was one singular line. Thank you for the idea though!

Suggested posts