Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Pauses after 30 seconds

Spotify Pauses after 30 seconds

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Windows 10 Desktop (Store App + Desktop), Android App (Samsung S9)

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

When playing Spotify on any of my devices, the song pauses after exactly 30 seconds of playing. If I play the song again, the same thing happens 30 seconds later.

I originally noticed it on my Android phone when trying to play a song and bluetooth it to my car's speakers a week or so ago. Trying again today (haven't gotten it to work since), on my Windows 10 desktop (which I recently reset) using the Windows 10 store app, the desktop version of the app, and the web player all have this problem too.

Any song, I can start it at any point in time and 30 seconds later it will pause (i.e. playing at 0:09 will pause it at 0:39). It's basically unusable across any of my devices.

I've tried resetting my password and signing out of Spotify across all my devices to no avail. Any other suggestions?

5 Replies

Update: I was tinkering with random settings on the desktop app and after enabling "private session" it hasn't paused a song in the last 10 minutes...

Hey @JaredLGillespie

Welcome to the Community, thanks for reaching out about this. 

If you're still having this issue, we'd first recommend performing a clean reinstall of the app. This is more thorough than a regular one and can be helpful for clearing any cache that might be causing issues. It will also get you the latest app version.

If this doesn't do the trick, could you try using a different network to see if the issue persists?

Let us know how it goes. We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

im having the identical problem and this didnt help at all

Hi there @Thebopx,

Thank you for your reply and for trying out the provided troubleshooting. Let's continue to take a closer look into this.

Can you remove all lines from your hosts file:

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click > Open as Administrator)
  2. Go to File > Open, and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose All Files instead of Text Documents next to the File Name box
    1. You'll see a handful of files, pick hosts and click Open.
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address
    1. Examples may look like 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify

If the issue persists, can you let us know if this occur on one specific device or multiple deivces?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

One reason I've found was discord was detecting spotify through my mic and it was automatically pausing in it because of "compliance of spotify terms and conditions" or something along the lines of that. follow up to the update, private session will fix this

Suggested posts