Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Recently Played Artists not updating?

Spotify Recently Played Artists not updating?

After updating my Spotify Desktop player, my Recently Played Artist list has not updated in a week or so. Spotify on my Android phone seems to be similarly affected as well. As my Recently Played Artists usually updates quite swiftly, this lag is worrying me a little - especially since I've been listening to a number of different artists for quite long periods of time. Can anybody provide a solution to this? Thank you!

354 Replies

For me, it is the top lists that isn't doing anything and has been the same in the last few weeks. My 2nd most listened to track hasen't been listened to in ages and there are tracks that I have been listening to often and they dont seem to be on the list. It just isn't being refreshed at any point.

The Discover section in Browse seems to be working fine though. It does keep suggesting artists that sound similar or are related to the ones I have been listening to most. How can Spotify still keep updating this every few days when my top lists are stuck and not at all accurate!?

It really seems confusing that 1 thing updateds itself while the other does not when they are quite a similar thing really.

I'm not quite sure if this is the same issue everyone else here is having but I don't quite know a section in spotify called Recently Played Artists.

I think I may have misunderstood the threat title.

I think it's the same general issue with certain things not refreshing though, so I'm glad you added that to the thread. I'm about to make a thread in which I noticed my life music feed (friend feed) stops refreshing whenever I get an in-app notification. For example, say a playlist I follow has a song added to it, I'll get a notification. But then that stops my friend feed from updating until I refresh the app. That had never happened until a couple weeks ago.

I really hope they find a fix for this soon. Mine has not updated in well over a month and it is officially driving me insane at this point. Thankfully this is the only time Spotify has disappointed me, so I cannot give them too much grief.

I use Spotify on my LG G3 phone, my LG G Pad, my HP Desktop at work, and my HP laptop at home. I have "signed out of all locations" several times and have uninstalled and reinstalled Spotify on each device. I keep it up-to-date, always, and am just befuddled by this.

Hi Matt, for several weeks the problem went unaddressed, but recently it caught the eye of the staff so hopefully it should be fixed soon. I agree, it was only after the feature was down that I realized how important it was to me. 

As it seems that they're not fixing this overall, how can i get them to take at look at mine? I just signed in and it's got these bugs. Can't even find a place to talk to them except here, where it feels we're just talking to other users.

Here's what I did last week before the forum community manager addressed the issue - go to this link: https://www.spotify.com/us/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/? then in the first pull down bar select "Give Spotify feedback". The reason for choosing this one is because for the problem we're having, there is not option addressing it. For the other two pull down bars just select "other". You will be able to write them a little message about it and in my case, they responded fairly quickly (within a couple hours). Initially they'll probably tell you to do a clean reinstallation after wiping your cache, and assuming you've tried that, just tell them you have and then from there they will further analyze it. Currently I'm on a test account of theres listening to music just for 1 day so they can see if the test accounts Recently Played Artists refreshes and if it does then maybe it's something with my computer, but if not then I would hope they'd see that it is a bug. I doubt it's my computer since a lot of other people are all having this problem at the same time. I just started using the account today and since the Recently Played Artists (when working properly) sometimes takes a day or two to refresh, I won't know until then but I plan on keeping you all updated.

Thank you! I was able to send them an email with my feedback. Hoping they have a solution.

Glad to hear 🙂

Been in touch with several real people now at spotify and they have tried to reset things for me by going into my account. Unfortunately it did not work each time. They have said they are aware of the issue of not updating and have people trying to work on it.

They know alot of us have the same issues and said they will let us know when they can via the spotify blog when they any further information.

Hopefully itll be sooner rather than later...... but who knows!!

@jujubeans wrote:

Thank you! I was able to send them an email with my feedback. Hoping they have a solution.

Happy they have got back to me though!

I really wish they would fix this, but if they decide not to listen to us, at least Apple is coming out with a streaming service soon.  Perhaps they will listen to our desires more than Spotify. 🙂 

I'm facing the same issue as everyone else. If this isn't resolved soon, I will be canceling my membership.

Where is the Spotify moderator that could easily come and assure us they know that there is an issue and that they will fix the issue to our satisfaction? 

They responded to my contact, they said "well we know that's wrong and there's nothing we can do about it, so basically screw you". When is that Apple Music thing coming?

I've been having this problem too, for about a couple of months. It's starting to irritate me haha. So nobody knows if its going to be resolved at all? 

I've also had this issue for about a month.  Is there any way to resolve it?

To reply to the last 3 posts - I'm sure they didn't say there is nothing they can do about an issue that is likely just a programming/functional error in the to-do list. Obviously, they are struggling to deal with it. 

As far as solutions to this, no there is not one right now unfortunately. They will likely tell you to try and do a clean reinstallation and clear your cache, which you may want to try once if you haven't, but I don't think that's worked for anyone yet in regards to this specific issue, so we're all just waiting. 

I will say that SOMETHING can be done about this, even if it's a bug in the system, Spotify is an online operation... if they don't have the tech people to handle the issues that come with an online business given over 1 month, I'm not sure the issue the bigger problem is the people in the office rather than the app itself.

I have been going back and forth with tech on this issue for the last couple days (uninstall/re-install, had me log into a test account just now). Issue is not fixed but at least there has been some attempt. Whether the next message will be a "we know, can't do anything" or not remains to be seen. 

I will say however, that we all pretty much know that the rollout of the new desktop interface a few months ago has been an unmitigated disaster. This new desktop is utter garbage when compared to the previous version and the fact that they have just crammed it down everyones throat with, seemingly, little regard for the overwhelming negitive feedback received does speak volumes about both the technical proficiency, and customer philosophy of Spotify itself.

AHHHHH, I can't believe what just happened - I'm currently on my desktop app and clicked on my profile and my Recently Played Artists REFRESHED!!! It was all artists I was listening to yesterday and the day before. So I clicked on one of my friends' profiles and their profile hadn't changed, but I didn't really care just as long as mine changed........

I clicked back on my profile not but 30 seconds later and it was back to the list that had been there for the last month and a half, and now it won't refresh again -________-

This just happened to me too! It's still sort of going between the two, the old list and the updated list. Hopefully this is a good sign?

I have had the same problem for about a month. My recently played artist won't update even though I have listened to different artists listed. Just today the list seems to be switching to a new list of artists (which for right now is just one artist). Hopefully this problem is being resolved. I did notice that one of my friends recently played artists has been updated within the past couple of days.

Suggested posts