Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Windows player Discovery screen frozen display

Solved!

Spotify Windows player Discovery screen frozen display

Hello!

After the recent update, the discovery screen appears to freeze up graphically on my computer. I can still click links that are 'invisible' and even scroll down and things seem to move by (although I don't see any change except that my mouse pointer turns into that pointing hand that normally shows up when you mouse over a link; the locations that it turns into a pointer change). All other sections appear to work just fine in the desktop app.

It seems that the page just doesnt render beyond the point to where it finishes loading, no content shows up at all, but it's there... just not graphically.

Was there some kind of change in how the discovery section renders? Maybe using hardware rendering or something?

Edit: this affects Apps as well, or at least so far the Pitchfork app.

68 Replies

As far as I know, this is an issue with the underlying rendering engine Spotify uses (which is part of the chromium project) rather than directly being a Spotify issue.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

The exact same problem occures with the Adobe Creative Cloud application. The one that allows you to install and remove the CC software. I added the same command line attributes to the path and now it works fine. I wonder if the problem only presents itself with nvidia gpus? I have the GTX 275 with latest dirvers.

On my system it appears to be caused by the hybrid intel-nvidia graphics driver.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hi,

I also have the black screen problem. Solved it by adding "--disable-accelerated-layers" in the target settings of the icon.

Still an issue though, obviously, since it took me a few hours to find the solutions.

I'm running Spotify v 0.9.13.24.g5dbb3103

Win 7 Pro 64 (6.1.7601)

Hp EliteBook 850 G1

i7-4600U

Intel HD graphics 4400 v 10.18.10.3540

So, updating everything on my computer did not help, only by disabling accelerated layers it works fine.

Regards Henrik

They fixed it?! I just updated Spotify to the latest version, and it doesn't crash anymore. Running it now without any additional command line options and it works fine.

It really took a while, but nice to see that the message got through.

Hi,

I also updated my Spotify today, but I still have a black screen and need to disable accelerated layers to make it work. 😞

Henrik

Thanks...

It worked like a charm 😛

Looks like my hybrid cards were causing the same problem too, very annoying as it would stop and start but only started happening recently. Graphic drivers up to date as well..

Anyway, thanks for the fix!

Thanks so much this worked. Although I had to disable a lot of them. 

--disable-accelerated-video-decode
--disable-accelerated-plugins
--disable-accelerated-overflow-scroll
--disable-accelerated-layers
--disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background

These five ones, because only with the "layers" and "root background" wouldn't do the trick.

Suggested posts