Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify always opens at the same song and same place in song

Solved!

Spotify always opens at the same song and same place in song

Hi, I've been having this issue for quite a while now and it's really starting to annoy me.

I've tried everything I can think of and I can't find anything online on how to fix this problem.

I've tried both the Windows 10 App and the standalone version, both of them causes the same problem. I can fix it for a short while by doing a complete uninstall and clean the computer of anything related to Spotify but that is only a temporary fix and comes backs after a few days (or even the next day).

The only thing I haven't tried that I know of is to do a clean install of Windows but I don't see how that would help because I've had Windows support help me as well and because of that did a repair on the whole OS.

So yeah, if anyone has had this problem before and know what to do, please help.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

After months of this bug and no new solutions to it, I decided to try experimenting with the Spotify application myself in hopes of a "good enough" solution. What I found was how to pretty much disable the "feature"(?) that resumes where you left off. I pretty much made it just fresh start every time. Meaning, no queued songs or anything, just a blank Spotify ready for orders.

Steps:

1. Exit Spotify completely (File>Exit)
  2. Navigate to your Roaming AppData Folder (Windows Key + R > %appdata%)
  3. Go to Spotify>Users>[your username]-user
  4. Delete the file named "player-state"
  5. Don't close that file directory just yet
  6. Open Spotify and fully exit again.
  7. Go back to file directory and right click the newly generated "player-state" file
    • Optional: Edit the file and delete everything inside
  8. Select Properties
  9. Tick the checkbox labeled "Read-only"
  10. Click Apply and OK
  11. Enjoy 

If anyone wants to dive deeper and refine this method to maybe make this "feature" actually function the way Spotify intended, be my guest, I just wanted to share what I found in case this helps others.

View solution in original post

15 Replies

This happens to me all the time on all of my devices (Windows 10 PC, android phone, etc.) Spotify opens on my PC at startup and the same song I listened to a month ago is ready to play; very annoying.

Me too. It seems to be fixed when I don't shutdown Spotify by restarting my PC, but rather close Spotify manually before stopping my PC.

Yeah I noticed that as well. I guess Spotify is trying to save and then start at the song I stopped at but I'd just prefer if there were an option to turn that feature off.

I quite like that feature myself - but they should sync it across my devices and correctly save- and restore it. Not like how it's working now, where my PC has a song from months back.

I agree. That would be really nice but as it seems nice Spotify doesn't even want to acknowledge the problem so I don't think they'll do anything about it soon.

Same thing is happening to me as well. Always shows the same song even though I've only listened to it once (discover weekly), its not even a good song.

Happens to me as well. Currently its stuck at the chorus of 'You make my dreams' by Daryl Hall & John Oates. At least I now know how to stop this.

Short answer: If you don't shut down the Spotify app before you shut down your computer, it will revert back to the last time you did.

Long Answer: It seems that when the Spotify desktop app closes (as in, completely shuts down), it saves what song and where in the song you were. If you're the kind of person that just shuts down your computer without closing out of everything, it will seem like Spotify just doesn't save your previous place in a song because you're not giving it the chance to save your spot. Also, what makes this even more confusing for people, is that there is a setting in Advanced Settings that says "Close button should minimize the Spotify window to the tray". When checked, clicking the X to close the desktop app does not actually shut it down, but puts it in your tray in the bottom right corner of your taskbar. To actually shut down the app, you have to go to your tray and right click the Spotify app and click "Exit". Shutting down your desktop app is what triggers it saving your song, so do that.

Still has some stupid indie song playing when I do this

Hi,

I've found that if I let the song finish by skipping to the end of the song (not skipping the whole song just to the last 2 seconds or so), it starts up next time with the next song in queue loaded, This was good enough for me as It  previously started playing closer by nine inch nails at 26 seconds into the song.

I know it doesn't remove the feature entirely, but I saw a few of you with similar problems to myself.

Thanks!

Same problem here...Stuck on the chorus of Surfing USA 😞
I felt for some 60s music one night months ago and I'm paying for it forerver.
STAHP IT!

Thanks.

Marked as solution

After months of this bug and no new solutions to it, I decided to try experimenting with the Spotify application myself in hopes of a "good enough" solution. What I found was how to pretty much disable the "feature"(?) that resumes where you left off. I pretty much made it just fresh start every time. Meaning, no queued songs or anything, just a blank Spotify ready for orders.

Steps:

1. Exit Spotify completely (File>Exit)
  2. Navigate to your Roaming AppData Folder (Windows Key + R > %appdata%)
  3. Go to Spotify>Users>[your username]-user
  4. Delete the file named "player-state"
  5. Don't close that file directory just yet
  6. Open Spotify and fully exit again.
  7. Go back to file directory and right click the newly generated "player-state" file
    • Optional: Edit the file and delete everything inside
  8. Select Properties
  9. Tick the checkbox labeled "Read-only"
  10. Click Apply and OK
  11. Enjoy 

If anyone wants to dive deeper and refine this method to maybe make this "feature" actually function the way Spotify intended, be my guest, I just wanted to share what I found in case this helps others.

Nice 'feature' - although seems to be windows only.

This worked for me! Huge thx

Suggested posts