Premium

Country

USA

Device

Windows Desktop

Operating System

Windows 10 1909 Build 18363.535

My Question or Issue

Spotify auto updated yesterday and now it will not run.  It attempts to start up then closes down.  I uninstalled today and reinstalled v1.1.22.633.g1bab253a from the website and it does the same thing.  I have spoken with several other people who hare having the same issue.

115 Replies

The web player works fine.  That has been my workaround until they fix this.

yes, webplayer works

@acp89

That is what I have been trying to tell them since my very first post.  The problem is that Spotify technical people don't monitor this forum.  It is nearly useless to post problems here.  I'm guessing we will just have to hope that the next version fixes the issue...whenever they release it.  If you have a safe download location for a previous version I would love a link.  But most I have found online are contaminated with malware.

The fact that they don't have a dedicated support ticket system says a lot about how much they care about their customers.  Just like removing the notification bell where they had hundreds of complaints and never put it back into the desktop app....they just don't care.  I've left Spotify in the past for crappy customer service and it might just be time to take my money elsewhere again.

@acp89

Thanks.  Works like a champ!

Hey @pcc  and others

Spotify is currently looking into this issue. I'll be back as soon as I have more info. 🙂

Have a nice day!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Great!  Thanks for the update!

Hi @RockStar,

Just to give an update, i tried the offline installer and it works with the LAN cable connected. Happy Days!!!

Thanks

Hi All,

This offline installer works for me.... offline installer.

Once i installed this, it worked fine until the app updated (i closed it by mistake) to which it started crashing again with the new version.

I went back to the offline installer and without uninstalling Spotify, just installed that version. The app did not crash and its currently in use.

I think theres something wrong with the new version to which the technical team will need to investigate.

I've got the same issue: the program launches but immediately freezes before any content comes up. RAM usage jumps by >3GB when this happens. Window goes light gray, "not responding", then shuts down. This has been happening for a couple of weeks now.

I have tried different network connections: did not make a difference.

I have done clean reinstalls using regular installer, offline install (v1.1.22.633.g1bab253a) and install from the Windows Store (v1.22.633.0) : did not make a difference.

The web player works fine for me, app works fine on iOS, macOS app works fine too.

Hopefully it gets fixed soon!

Thank you 🙂

Hey all 🙂

Please try following these steps:

1. Delete the Spotify Cache folder 
    • Go to C:\Program Files and delete the Spotify folder
    • Go to C:\Users\“user name”\AppData\Roaming and delete the Spotify folder 
  2. Launch PC in Safe Mode and uninstall Spotify
    • Shutdown your PC and restart it in Safe Mode. Google your computer's brand to see how to, for example "Sony Vaio safe mode".
    • While in Safe Mode, Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features
    • Uninstall Spotify
    • Shutdown PC and boot it back up as normal (not in Safe Mode)

Then try reinstalling the client.

Let me know how it goes 🙂

SebastySpotify Star

I've already tried this to no avail. As I've said in previous posts, there is clearly something wrong with this particular version. Rolling back to a previous version works fine. 

@Sebasty

If it is working properly there would be no need to jump through those hoops.  That isn't a "fix" that is a "workaround".

Hey @pcc 

The above was troubleshooting rather than a fix or workaround. I just need to know if that did work or not and I can report your findings back. 🙂

SebastySpotify Star

I'll give it a shot.

@Sebasty

I tried the safe mode uninstall per your instructions and it still crashes at launch.

This did not work for me either.
Thank you for the suggestion though.

Hey, all!

Thank you for trying this and letting me know!

The right Spotify team is looking into it, stay tuned. 🙂

SebastySpotify Star

Thanks. Looking forward to a real solution. The web player isn't quite as feature-rich as the desktop player!

Hey @acp89 

Spotify has a new version available now - 1.1.24.91.g4ca6d5eb
The updates roll out gradually, but if you can, try installing Spotify again and see if the new version works better for you 🙂

Let me know how it goes!

SebastySpotify Star

Suggested posts