Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify blank screen

Solved!

Spotify blank screen

Hi, 

I can't use Spotify, because there is no content in the app. It's just black.

I already tried running it as admin and in compablity mode.
Nothing changes when running with 

%APPDATA%\Spotify\spotify.exe --disable-accelerated-layers --disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background

I also reinstalled my Graphics driver.
Running Windows 10

psVBpaB.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Still none of the given solutions work.

I still get the blackscreen.

Its a install directory related issue.

If i move the spotify folder away from my server profile into my local hard disk it works. Even after 2 spofity updates the bug is still present when using the default install directory inside %APPDATA%.

View solution in original post

19 Replies

Okay, reinstalled Spotify three times. Did work after the latest reinstall. Might have sth to do with the fact that i'm on the insider preview of windows.

Im running regular windows 10 pro and im having the same issue.

Several reinstalls (did 4 reinstalls, even did one as admin) didnt fix the problem at all, still the same issue.

The same is happening to me. How is this still a problem? I've seen people claiming this problem back from 2014. The web player works for me, but I much prefer the app 

Today I have started getting this problem as well. The screen stays black and a continuous Windows error sound loop is played. I have tried all the "standard solutions" from the past. So far nothing has had any effect, not even reinstalling from a clean uninstall. I might try reinstalling multiple times...

I just tested installing spotify on a new, clean windows 10 pro (which never had spotify installed before) and still i get the issue. At first i get the login prompt (which works) but after logging in im facing the same dead black spotify window as earlier. Therefore i suppose its not a bug which will fix itself by reinstalling but a bug in the software itself.

Getting a little bit frustrated as my premium subscription goes to the waste for the third day today.

I have the same issue I've tried it on a 2 windows 10 pro machines and also a windows 7 machine, all downloaded the client from spotify and I get the same issue on all machines, really annoying as others say paying for the preimium subscription, been trying to fix this since about Monday.

I am also having this problem. Making do with the web player, but the lower bitrate isn't great. Is there actually a reason why the web player has a lower bitrate even for premium users?

Hey,

I just had this issue, fixed it by:

Right click spotify shortcut

Click Properties

Click Compatibility

Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows 7

Hardware acceleration is turned off for me

Give it a go 🙂 

Cheers.

Yeah thanks for the suggestion but that doesn't work, also I don't see why I should have to mess about trying to get it to work, I pay spotify for a premium service and it should work out the box, for just over a week now I've not been able to use the desktop version of the service, I feel after 8years of paying for a premium service is it time to cancel and look for something else ?, SPOTIFY sort your $hit out please

Ah sorry that doesn't work man..

I totally understand your frustration, the only other things i can suggest is running as admin, try other compatibility modes such as win 8/xp and renaming your EN-US and EN-GB locales in %appdata% then starting. I tried all of these and eventually it worked. 

Just seems like the UI doesn't fully startup, try setting other files such as webhelper or startuptasks to run in compatibility mode too.

Best of luck.

I've tried most of these before, the other thing I've tested it on is a windows 7 machine and it's the same problem on there too, so I don't beleive compatablility settings will ever work. someone did have a link on here I think in another post with a download to the full application rather than the current method of installing it and that worked perfect with no messing about, however I would prefer using one that is directly downloaded from spotify and is the current version, I might post on spotify's twitter page see if they will do something about it, I mean there must be many more that have the same problem.

Good shout on mailing their twitter handle, might get others replying that fixed it.

I'd just run through all the basic checks again anyway mate, incase its a network issue try a router reboot, flush your local DNS cache .

Here's a list of Run commands to try:

--disable-accelerated-video 
--disable-accelerated-plugins 
--disable-accelerated-overflow-scroll 
--disable-accelerated-layers 
--disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background 
--disable-accelerated-compositing 
--disable-accelerated-2d-canvas

This command below should run them all:

%APPDATA%\Spotify\spotify.exe --disable-accelerated-video --disable-accelerated-plugins --disable-accelerated-overflow-scroll --disable-accelerated-layers --disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background --disable-accelerated-compositing --disable-accelerated-2d-canvas

That's me out of ideas though. If you get it sorted report back incase it happens to me again ';)

Really appreciate all your suggestions most I've already done, my router doesn't need a reboot 100% sure of that and my DNS doesn't need flushing either, I'd like to point out again I did download an old offline version from HERE and that worked perfectly fine, spotify just need to fix it, shame they don't use the forums and have support staff on here too, I'll start nagging them on twitter and see if we can get this fixed in the application for all.

Spotify via twitter were as useful as a chocolate tea pot

That worked for me, thank you 🙂

Marked as solution

Still none of the given solutions work.

I still get the blackscreen.

Its a install directory related issue.

If i move the spotify folder away from my server profile into my local hard disk it works. Even after 2 spofity updates the bug is still present when using the default install directory inside %APPDATA%.

my network setup I use a windows domain and use roaming profiles so all user profiles files are stored on a file server, I've just did the same as nicer21 and amzing the application works, I've just tried form a number of different network locations where I have full permissions and ownership of and it won't work, I wonder what spotify changed for this to be the issue as I've used roaming profiles for about 5 or 6  years and never had the issue with spotify.

I think my post got deleted, awesome that you got it working though man!

Yeah there's definitley something strange going off there with the install directory. 

Congrats though, i'll keep that in mind the next time mine sh1ts itself.

Cheers,

Take care.

ahhh that explains why I couldn't see it, really appreciate you letting me know about what Nicer21 found, hopefully spotify will fix it good, or let the user pick a location for the app to be installed.

Suggested posts