Premium

Country

Russia

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10 2004

My Question or Issue

Spotify was working for some time but then stopped and throws error on every track. What tried: clearing cache at roaming/local, reinstalling app to latest, disabling hardware acceleration, disabling antivirus/firewall, disabling all sound active devices except active (i have two sound cards), maybe something else...

5 Replies

Found that guys get it working by running application as admin, works for me too. My windows is relatively fresh. It might be something with network adapters or registry access. Will try to dig deeper.

Hey there @electrorhythm,

Thanks for reaching out to us on the Community - We are here to help!

Good job on your troubleshooting steps so far. Could you also try to log in on another device like a smartphone or a tablet and tell us if you are experiencing the same playback issues there. If you do not have another device you can also try the Web Player

If it plays fine on the other device you can try to perform the following steps to delete all lines from the host files on your PC that block Spotify.

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
  2. go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify

Hope this helps. If you have more questions - don't hesitate to reach out here again.

Have a great day!

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

so what's the fix for the MAC's?

Hello Elena,

Sorry for delay. On mobile it plays fine. I cleaned hosts file on desktop, problem still persists.

I tried to give full access to all users to Local/Spotify and Roaming/Spotify folders and also some registry branches, no changes. If this problem is also observed on Mac there might be something on deep level. I suppose only developers can fix this.

Yes it’s on my Mac. It’s extremely annoying since I work from home on my computer and the music is a must.

Suggested posts