Plan

Premium

Country

Colombia

Device

HP Pavillion x360

Operating System

Windows 10

Question or Issue: It used to work a few days ago, but now everytime I try to play a track on the spotify app on my PC, the message pops up: "Spotify can't play this right now". I tried using the web app on Edge but it did not work either

Spotify App JCL.png
16 Replies

Hello, welcome to the community. 

Were you able to:

• Uninstall, and reinstall the app
  • Log out and log back in
  • Check your network connection 

Let me know how that goes. Hope this helps 🙂

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi! I'm having the same problem.

I tried to play music on my Windows laptop in the Spotify app, but whenever I try to play a song it says "Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it."

Also, whenever I play a song from a playlist, it goes through all the songs I have very quickly without me even pressing the "skip" button.

I deleted and reinstalled Spotify and I also signed back in. The problem still persists.

I'm not sure what to do.. 

I have the same problem here. It just happens with "explicit" songs.

Hey @Dirkules93@sammygazda 🙂

Please follow the steps I provided in my first reply 🙂 Let me know how this goes!

Billy-JSpotify Star

Same issue here. I have Spotify downloaded on both my Google Pixel and my laptop. Previously it was the regular .exe you download off the website, but when this started happening, I tried the windows app to see if that would help. No such luck. Same issue on the web browser version as well. I was also able to download a 970 song playlist within a minute, so I know it's not a connectivity issue. The only place I can get it to work is the Spotify app on my Pixel.

By the way, @Billy-J  if it was any of the things you had advised to check, it would have either a) worked on the web browser if it was an application/login issue or b) not allowed access to the web browser at all if it was an internet issue. 🙂

I am not an expert, but it occurs to me it could be in your case because you have them blocked in your settings

Hello Billy,

I tried all that to no avail. It did not work.

So, who is going to solve this? Where's Spotiffy customer service?

I'm confused on what you mean by settings @jucalon. If you mean on my computer, there haven't been any changes made on my end recently. If you mean on Spotify, it's the same. But yeah, I agree with you on the fact that this needs to be resolved

I suppose it's not an expensive subscription, but I simply do not believe Spotify left me stranded!

Well, yes. I mean your personal settings on your Spotify app, but if you have not made any changes, please disregard my post.

@jucalon@morsini022@Dirkules93@sammygazda -

Thanks for the replies!

Could you try another reinstall by following these steps here: https://support.spotify.com/using_spotify/troubleshooting/reinstallation-of-spotify/?

Also, make sure you delete the Client.spotify.com folder when uninstalling 🙂

Let me know how things come along!

Billy

Billy-JSpotify Star

Hi All,

I too had this issue, and it seems to have been related to audio driver issues. I was able to resolve this by resetting my audio driver. Detailed steps on how to do this are below. These should work on Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10.

1. in the Start menu search bar, type "devmgmt.msc" without quotes and press enter. This should bring you to the Device Manager, which contains a list of various components installed on your computer sorted by category.

2. Expand the "Sound, video, and game controllers" category

3. Select the sound controller that's used for your speakers (you can confirm by checking the Volume menu in the lower right corner of the screen, next to the date/time - the device name found in the Volume menu will match a device in this window). Right click the controller and select "Uninstall device".

4. In the popup window asking to confirm, there will be a check box to delete the driver software from your computer. Make sure this is UNCHECKED, then click "Uninstall".

5. Restart your computer to complete the uninstallation. Once your computer boots back up, it will detect and re-install your audio card automatically.

6. Your Spotify should be fixed! Launch the app and reap the profits ^_^

NOTE: I tried to make the instructions above as user-friendly as possible, but the Device Manager is an advanced management utility intended for IT professionals and individuals with advanced computer skills. USE THESE INSTRUCTIONS AT YOUR OWN RISK! I am not responsible if something goes wrong while performing a driver reset per the above instructions. If you don't feel comfortable performing the reset yourself, take your computer to a repair shop and have the shop do the reset for you.

THANK YOU cem 2007 1770 !! You're the real MVP right now!! This worked for me. 

recently having the same problem but only on the first launch of the app, next opened instances works fine.

The issue i had was also with my audio when connecting my headset on the computer.
If my headset was connected to the computer without activating it (it's a wireless headset with an On/Off feature), Spotify wouldn't want to start any song.

Once connected properly, Spotify would start playing songs.

Suggested posts