Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify cannot play certain songs on the desktop client.

Spotify cannot play certain songs on the desktop client.

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

Desktop PC

Operating System

Windowns 10

My Question or Issue

Spotify cannot play certain songs on the desktop client. For example the UNDERTALE Soundtrack, "Ghost fight" can play without issue but "Spider dance" cannot (images attached). This issue does not appear to be a problem on my iPhone.

I have tried; a complete reinstal of spotify, both the version downloaded from browser and in the windows 10 app store, logging out and back in.

ghost fight.PNG
spider dance.PNG
8 Replies

Hey there @Grorman,

thanks for posting in the community !

We want all the world’s music and podcasts on Spotify, but availability can vary over time and between countries, depending on the permissions from rights holders.

The good news is: We add new content to Spotify every day, so if you can’t find something you’re looking for right now, it may appear (or reappear) soon, so please check back! 

There's a possibility where some of the playlist is available and some not.

It works according the the legal terms of each composer\artist\band etc.

Hope this helps 😃

But why would some songs on the same album not be able to be played while other can, and why aren't the ones that cant greyed out?

Hello OneByBoo,

I see where you are coming from with this answer, but I can for SURE tell you that is not the case/problem. I have recently gotten this very same issue with the Windows Client which doesn't allow me to play some certain songs. I have one laptop, one iPhone and this "gaming" pc. No other pc/iPhone has this problem which for sure eliminates that option. It's weird, cause I can add a certain song to my playlist in school using my laptop, listen to it on my way home on my phone then open my gaming pc and then for some reason I can't play it. I've had this problem for a few weeks now, and it briefly stopped when I fully uninstalled Spotify from my computer, deleted the caches and downloaded the Microsoft Store version, after just under one week it just came back again today. This method doesn't work any longer.
This is extremly tiring, please just get some sort of fix for this.

Just as I wrote this reply my Spotify completely **bleep**ed itself over. I can now no longer play any songs on Spotify... yeah, definitely "some of the playlist is available and some not. It works according the the legal terms of each composer\artist\band etc." not true in this scenario. 

I have the same problem but i do not find a solution.

I have the same problem, except on a much bigger scale, the undertale soundtrack just disappeared

Having the same problem here 😞

The entire playlist is greyed out.

Hey folks,

Thanks for reaching out to us. This sounds odd and we'll do our best to help you sort it out.

@Grorman and @Brandon__  The troubleshooting steps you've tried so far are very good. We'd like to add a few more. Can you restart the device? Then you can log out and log back in again.

If that doesn't do the trick, we'd suggest you give these steps a go and check the hosts file.

@Nephilim98, @-_-_-_-_-_-_-_, @tlsdmswl Can you check if the issue occurs with other playlists as well? It's also good to try with another device to see if it is a device-related issue.

Let us know how it goes. If you have more questions, we are here for you.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts