Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify causing my PC Windows 10 to freeze

Spotify causing my PC Windows 10 to freeze

Hi

This is like a message in a bottle as this forum is my last resort.

For more than 6 months now, Spotify has been randomly causing my PC to freeze (I'm on Windows 10 64 bits). I've contacted Spotify support on several occasions and the only solution they give me (which doesn't work btw) is to download an old version of the Spotify. I have tried to use the Windows app, to re-install Windows with no result either.

I've seen many threads on this topic in the forum but didn't find any useful information

I'm a Premium user and having to use and old version or the webplayer doesn't work for me as they don't provide all the features I need (no filter, no way to use my local files). In short, this is my last try before moving on to Deezer.

If anyone can help me I would be immensely grateful!

15 Replies

Hey @redseafish1 Welcome to the Spotify Community!

By any chance have you tried running spotify under administrator?

Keanu_C

Keanu_CSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

No, how can I do that ?

Hey @redseafish1,

Hope you are doing great!

Please try to do a clean install using the steps from this post.
If you're still having trouble, could you let me know the exact version of Spotify and the exact version of the operating system you're running?

I'll see what I can suggest!

Thank you for your answer. I have done a clean uninstall, clean the cache too and install Spotify latest app version (from 30th June). My OS is Windows 10 64 bits Family version.

Hey @redseafish1

Thank you for your reply!

Please try to disable Hardware Acceleration for Spotify. It should help.

If it doesn't please reply to this post and I will try my best to help 🙂

Thanks!

Thank you for the suggestion

Unfortunately I already tried it. It didn't work either

I am sorry that these steps won't work for you @redseafish1.

Could you please check if you have any software running that may conflict Spotify?

Try it and see how that goes. 🙂

To have the application run as administrator, right click on Spotify and you will then see more. Click on more and then you will be given the option to run as administrator. If you dont see it let me know..

Keanu_C

Keanu_CSpotify Star

Thank you very much for the advice. I'm going to try it. I've crashed again today while closing the app 😞

Just one question, do I have to select this option each time I run the app or is there a way to set it as a permanent option ?

Hey @redseafish1,

Yes there is, check out this article to find out how!

Thank you very much !!

No problem, hope it fixed the problem!

Hope so too. I will give it a try in the next days. Fingers crossed !

Let me know how it goes! If it works than that will be great and we could also suggest to those who also has this issue.

Happy Listening

Keanu_C

Keanu_CSpotify Star

So after re-installing Windows, re-installing Spotify, running the app as Administrator, the problem is still not solved 😞

However the freezing now seems less random as it happens only when I close Spotify (or at least I believe so as I've been using the app less and less in fear I would lost all my work by having to restart my computer after an unexpected crash).

Any other ideas before I close my Spotify account to move to Deezer?

Suggested posts