(Family Premium)

Country

(Germany) 

Device

(PC, OnePlus 2, OnePlus 5t)

Operating System

(Windows 10, Android 6, Android 10)

My Issue

My spotify keeps crashing in online mode for the past 4 months almost. What happens is, if spotify starts in online mode it will 100% of the times close itself aflter around a minute or 2 minutes. This started on my pc and the only temporary fix I could find is turning offline mode on in spotify. Another thing that works is starting spotify in offline mode already.  I can also turn the offline mode off after like 3 mins of spotify running, after the time the crash usually occurs.

2 Months later this also started happening on my old OP2 with an old android version. Same temp fix works, turning offline mode on will prevent the crashes. 

Just now this also started on my OP5t which is running Android 10. Only temp fix is turning offline mode on.

This tells me, it can't be a problem on my side. Can't be my systems, can't be my connection since I moved aswell so I have a different connection now. All this indicates to your online services having a bug which has been here for almost 4 months (literally the times when you added Group Sessions), and this bug has something to do with whatever kind of data you send to or receive of spotify clients inbetween 1 and 2 minutes after a client starts and is online (which also indicates to Group Sessions). I can't do anything to fix this. I've reinstalled spotify multiple times, relogged mutliple times and done anything I could think of, please don't even give me some of these obvious fixes that could work with literally anything on a pc, im not new to pc's lol.

I strongly believe this has something to do with your Group Sessions feature, since my crashes literally started when I had to update for that feature. Please do something about this, I'm gettings so sick of having to turn on offline mode every time I want to hear music, not being able to control my music from other devices and so on.

7 Replies

Hey there @realcaze,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community!

Apologies for the delayed response, we just came across this thread.

We haven't received any reports connected to the app crashing because of the Group sessions, so we'll need a bit more info here.

Could you let us know if you’re still having troubles with this?

If you are, we'll need to know exactly what happens - does the app just close, does it become unresponsive and do you experience the same behavior on all the devices you mention?

We'll be on the lookout for your reply. Feel free to get back to us if you have any further questions.

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I'm experiencing the same issue for a few months now in both my phone (oppo A9) and pc (hp omen, windows 10 pro). I also have the family premium plan.

Spotify closes itself and the song I was listening to starts over from the beginning.

Hi there @est99,

Thanks for reaching out about this.

Could you try to stop/leave any Group session you're part of. You can do this by clicking on the Connect icon on you Mobile device and selection End session.

If your app keeps crashing after that, run a clean reinstall on all of your devices, following the instructions in this Spotify Answer. A clean reinstall involves deleting the app cache, so all your Offline music will need to be redownloaded after that.

Keep us posted.

AlexModerator

I appear to have the same problem. Win10 here. I did a new install once with the store app and since that didnt work at all after the last update, doesnt even start up anymore. i now installed the version from the homepage. My local file library is really big and the software cannot find all the songs because it keeps closing itself after a few minutes. Its a real pain. I cannot keep reinstalling. The feature to play my local files alongside is a key for me, since i have lots of stuff that is not available on spotify. I dont think that i am part of any group sessions. I cannot remember joining any.

Hey @1121777709,

Welcome to the Community! Thanks for reaching out about this. 

Our group session is available only on mobile, so it seems you're experiencing a different issue here.

Could you confirm for us if you've already followed the exact clean reinstall steps we mentioned? Keep in mind that these are very helpful for clearing any cache that might be causing issues and it's different than simply reinstalling. 

Also, is the app crashing or becoming unresponsive? We'd recommend asking a friend or a family member to log into their account from your desktop to see if they can replicate the issue.

Keep us posted. We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

ElenaModerator

Thank you, for your reply. I did a fresh clean installation and even shut down the virus protection for it, so it wouldn’t interfere.

As I mentioned i have a rather big stash of local music files, around 20.000 plus songs. So it took around 5 to 6 Days for everything to finalIy be accessible through the software. Because the app closes itself down/ crashes after a few minutes and the i have to restart the programm so it can continue to scan for my music. I do not want to do that again any time soon.

I have made two discoveries:

Firstly the app seems to crash more often, when i stream to my sonos or another device. If i simple play the music on the PC, where i have the app, it does not crash as often or rather it takes longer to close it self down. It does not freeze. The window simply closes itself.

Secondly, since everything has been loaded, i found today, the app no longer crashes. Even if i don‘t play any music but just leave it open idle in the background. So i quess i am set until the next update ^^

Thank you

Hi again @1121777709!

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

We're glad to hear that it's fixed now. Give us a shout if it starts misbehaving again; we're always here to help.

Have a nice day 🙂

KaterinaModerator

Suggested posts