Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify crashes after 1-2 songs

Solved!

Spotify crashes after 1-2 songs

Plan

Premium

Country

Russia

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I use Spotify almost a year and it worked great. But 3 days ago when I play any song with "repeat one track " after 1-2 repeats it crashes without any error.
I tried:

• reinstalling it twice (simple reinstall and full reinstall)
  • run it in compatibility mode as an administrator
  • install it from windows store

Nothing works.

It seems pretty strange that in task manager there is several spotify apps (3-6) and then I open system tray all excess spotify apps disappear.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @DreamTears,

Thanks for keeping in touch.

That's odd, you should still be able to use Spotify while in Safe Mode. Let's try the following: go to Settings > toggle on the option Local Files > toggle off any options that appear there > toggle Local Files off again.

Let us know if that does the trick. We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

View solution in original post

27 Replies

Hi @DreamTears,

sorry to hear you're having issues with the app crashing. We'll do our best to help so you can start enjoying your music again.

First up, a clarification -  the app is built out of many individual "modules", each being able to create a system task in order to optimize performance, which is the reason why you're seeing multiple tasks in your task manager. So this shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Now, regarding your issue -  can you please confirm if you maybe have a VPN or an ad-blocker installed and if the same thing happens if you disable them?

And another thing, just for test purposes, can you try and turn off your firewall and your anti-virus for just a bit and see if the same happens. Remember to turn them on again afterwards!

Oh and lastly, does this happen only when the "repeat one" function is active?

Keep us posted!

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thanks for clarification.
I tried everything you told me:

1. No, I don't have any VPN or ad-blocker
  2. I tried to turn off anti-virus and firewall and it dosen't work
  3. It seems like spotify crashes after 3 min. Every song I was testing lasted less then 3 min.

Hey @DreamTears,

thanks for the reply. Can you try the following out:

Open up the app settings > click on Show Advanced Settings > Scroll down and disable or enable Hardware acceleration depending on your current setting > Close the app, ensure it's not running in a process in the background and restart it.

Any better? 

Mihail Moderator

No, it didn't work

Hey there @DreamTears

Thanks for getting back in touch. 

Could you let us know if you've downloaded the app from the Microsoft Store or from our official website?

On another note, would you mind letting us know how much storage space does your PC have available?

We'll be on the lookout for your reply. 

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Now I have downloaded app from official website.

System disk has 5.68 Gb available and the one with spotify installed  has 992Gb

Hi @DreamTears

Thanks for your reply. 

Would you mind checking if the OS of your PC has any pending updates?

Additionally, could you ask a friend or a family member to log in to their account in your desktop app to check if the issue persists with a different account?

Lastly, just to make sure, is it happening with every song you want to listen to or only when the "repeat one" function is active?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply. 

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I update OS on my PC but problem still occur.

I let my friend to log in to their account on my PC and nothing's changed. I even tried to log in to my account on their PC and everything was alright.

Seems like this issue remain in any repeat mode.

Hey @DreamTears,

Thanks for trying and keeping us posted.

If the issue couldn't be replicated with your account on a different device, it indicates that the issue is related to your device. Can you try restarting your PC while in Safe Mode and let us know if the issue persists that way?

Keep us posted on how it goes.

CarlosEModerator

I could not test my issue is safe mode because any song in spotify was not available.

Marked as solution

Hey @DreamTears,

Thanks for keeping in touch.

That's odd, you should still be able to use Spotify while in Safe Mode. Let's try the following: go to Settings > toggle on the option Local Files > toggle off any options that appear there > toggle Local Files off again.

Let us know if that does the trick. We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

CarlosEModerator

It seems like everything works! Thank you very much!

Hi there @DreamTears,

Thank you for your reply.

We're really glad to hear that everything works as it should for you again 🙂

Let us know if we can help you with anything else.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I've been having the same issue as DreamTears and I've followed the same steps but Spotify still crashes whenever I try to play music.

Hey @Nose_Bleed,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community!

Are you also having issues with the app crashing when you have toggled the "Repeat 1" functionality? If yes, then it could be also worthwhile restarting your app twice in a row.  This means to log out and then log back in two times. This may sound odd but it's how the app does a refresh with our servers. See if this will make the issue disappear for you. 

If this doesn't help, then we advise you to perform a clean reinstall of the app, as this is more thorough than the normal one and ensures that no cached data will cause interference with the new installation of your app. 

Hope something here helps and does the trick for you, reach out if you need more help.

Kiril Moderator

No, it is not specifically when I have the repeat functionality on it is just when I play a song, I have done all the steps you've told me about and still after 1-2 songs it will just randomly shut off.

Hey @Nose_Bleed,

Thanks for the reply.

Are you using the Spotify version downloaded from the site or from the Microsoft Store? Could you try switching between the two? The version from the Microsoft Store is more optimized for Windows systems.

Also listing the troubleshooting steps you've tried would help us a lot in proposing the next ones.

Could you also try the web player, does it work?

Keep us posted,

Cheers!

DianModerator

I'm having the same issue with Nose_Bleed. Spotify either crashes as soon as I open it or after 1 or 2 skips (it doesn't matter if I skip the song or the song changes when it ends). I have tried all of the steps described. I downloaded it from microsoft store, I cleared cache, I logged out and in again, I tried logging in from a different account and it just doesn't work. It works fine on my mobile. The device which has the problem is the Huawei Matebook D15. I don't know what else to do.

at first, I was using the one downloaded from the website but then when the issue came about I did the full reset of Spotify making sure to delete everything with Spotify in its name from my computer and then downloading it using the link I was given, I've also went to local files and turned them both off played music it didn't change much then I turned them back on and it didn't change much (before the issue I had both of them on as far as I know) and yes it seems to be working completely fine on the web player and my phone.

Suggested posts