Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify desktop app (windows 10) continuously skipping songs + can't play this song right now error

Solved!

Spotify desktop app (windows 10) continuously skipping songs + can't play this song right now error

Plan

Premium

Country

the Netherlands

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

After booting my PC and Spotify automatically opened, it started doing a bit weird. Whenever I play a song or podcast, it keeps skipping towards the next track on the playlist continously. When playing EPs it gives the following error message: "Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it." Actual local files, by the way, are working fine.

What have I already tried

Reboot, re-install, Windows update, GPU driver update, install windows store app (experienced same issue), browser (works fine), sign in/out, play on other devices (works fine on iOS and iPadOS), delete user data in appdata roaming, disable hardware acceleration, hide local files

NOTES:

- I've used a bluetooth box earlier via my iPhone, tried deleting it from my settings and reconnected, this didn't solve the issue, though it could have to do with it.

- I've got a soundcard installed (Asus Donar DGX), all audio plays through that and I can't find a way to change it, although all sounds from other apps play normally.

- I can't select other audio sources via the taskbar

- I've already had issues before with streaming Spotify via Streamlabs OBS. For some reason, it picked it's own source that I couldn't find anywhere, though I could still hear it play

- Other error that shows up: "When your music ends, we continue playing similar songs for you. You can turn this off in settings.". This literally happens after 1 second

19 Replies

I have exactly the same problem, I have also tried every possible solution on the internet but nothing works... I am now at the point of frustration.

About the OBS thing you mentioned, spotify doesn't let you capture music from their application. This is for legal reasons, otherwise you could just capture all the songs you like for free. Not as if it is hard nowadays to do this, but spotify doesn't let you do this.

Good news, this **bleep** didn't see the first link. Running as administrator did solve the issue, at least for the moment. I've accepted this as solution, thanks spocken!

I've got the same problem with my Asus Sonar DSX pc card. Turn off de GX resource (for 3D sound effects in games) in the Xonar DSX Audio Center solved that issue.

I'm in a similar situation. Running a discrete ASUS XONAR DGX soundcard, Windows 10. The latest Spotify update caused this issue for me. Running Spotify as administrator works for me, but I haphazardly found this solution -- I don't recommend it compared to running as admin, but it may work better for others:

1. Open command prompt and type in 'control mmsys.cpl sounds' (without the apostrophes, of course). 

2. Set another device as the default.

3. Open Spotify, play a song, and while it's skipping, click on your speaker icon and change the playback device to the intended playback device. 

I don't know why this works. It's odd because closing and reopening Spotify after this still renders it unusable. Hope this helps someone who can't run as admin.

Hi Snqq! I tried this (change to the onboard sound, when Spotify luckily worked, and return to Asus Sonar sound card, but with no success. In the end, to disable GX resources worked for me. Thanks for the tip.

Hey, guys.

This issue is "under investigation".

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Unable-to-play-anything-on-the-Desktop-player/idc-p/...

Click VOTE on that page if you have the same issue.

Thank you so much for this tip. Fixed the issue for me with a Asus Xonar DGX.

DSP Mode GX.jpg

The same issue can be encountered if using Chrome or other Chromium-based browsers. But not with Firefox.

Hi there @user-removed,

Thanks for reaching out about this.

Could you tell us exactly what's happening when you're streaming music from the web player on Google Chrome? Some screenshots would also be helpful.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

When I play a song on Web version of Spotify via Chromium-based browser, the song is not played. The progress stopped at 00:00 and constantly changes to the next song. This apply to all Chromium-based browsers I used: Chrome, Vivaldi, Coc Coc. Meanwhile, Firefox is able to load the song normally (but the icon didn't show properly)

miaokun_0-1604929222107.png

Hi again @user-removed,

Thanks for the info.

What we suggest is to ask a friend to log in with their account on your device and check whether the same issue persists. Alternatively you can create a new account with another email address to test this. This will help us determine if the issue is related to your account.

Keep us posted.

AlexModerator

I created a test account and I can confirm that the same issue appears.

Hi again @user-removed,

Thanks for the info.

Have you also tried connecting to another network or creating a Mobile hotspot if you mobile data plan allows it? Since you've said that multiple browsers are affected by this, the issue might be connected to your network settings or the permissions on your router.

Could you also try running the Spotify web player on your phone or another PC and see if it behaves the same way there.

AlexModerator

I try to play on the phone version of Spotify. The music play just fine, with no "skipping" problem.

Hey hey @user-removed, thanks for your cooperation so far.

We've done some more digging and the possible reason for the skipping is that only Google Chrome officially supports our web player, yet other Chromium based browsers don't. 

You can take a look here for more info. We can recommend that you try the steps here to check your hosts files to get the player working in Chrome.

We can suggest giving our desktop app a try if your set up allows it.

Hope this info helps. We'll be here if you have any more questions.

ElenaModerator

Thanks for your answering. Hopefully you guys will find a way to let it work in other Chromium browsers too.

I have the same issue, but running as administrator does not fix it for me. Even if it did, that's a workaround and users shouldn't have to do something like that for software to do its basic functions.

For me unchecking "Signal Enhancements > Enable audio enhancements" worked. I started having problems after changing headphone/speaker profiles because plugging/unplugging my Headphone activates Dolby.

Suggested posts