Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify freezes up my computer and forces me to shut it down

Spotify freezes up my computer and forces me to shut it down

I have the latest version of Spotify from the Windows Store, as well as Windows 10 with the April 2018 update, and whenever I open the Spotify app, my computer freezes completely (I can't even move the mouse), and I'm forced to shut it down incorrectly, that is, long-pressing the power button, which I believe damages especially the hard drive if done multiple times (which I had to). I'm really disappointed because I have the use the web app instead, which is not even close to the official app when it comes to features.

2 Replies

Hey, thanks for reaching out.

I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try restarting your device? Try to disable Hardware Acceleration from the Menu Bar click on View and click again on Harware Acceleration. If that doesn't help, please try a clean reinstallation. This can resolve many common issues. 

If you're still having trouble, could you let me know the exact version of Spotify and the exact version of the operating system you're running?

I'll see what we can suggest!

Hi, if I was you I would get the Spotify web download and install that! Uninstall the store version (try and check nothing is left behind, app data folders etc) Install the New one as ADMINISTRATOR (right click on app) don't log in straight away try restarting pc before u attempt log in! Then with nothing else open click on Spotify, hopefully when it opens check the settings and disable the hardware setting (and anything else u don't want) It might be an idea before u actually log in to it do a controll/alt/delete action to see what processes etc are running and if you have enough memory to run Spotify? What is your RAM? Do u have enough? Try this mate and lets hope it works for u!

Suggested posts