Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify has to be restarted every few days.

Spotify has to be restarted every few days.

Spotify stops being connected to the other computers every couple days and needs to be restarted on all computers to fix it.

This is running on 4 machines and 1 account to control 1 music output.

1 user at a time will switch to their pc and then change the song. That part is working fine.

Is this due to the updates spotify sends up to update the software, bug fixes, new music, and remove other things and needs to be closed to update it and this is more a force way to make the end user update there software?

5 Replies

Hi @CrazyBoyS, welcome to the board!

Interesting question!

If it's the updates that are rolled up to the program, then it must be restarted to adequately replace necessary things. Pretty much like Windows updates, where a restart almost always comes in, and it explains why "Windows cannot update files that are currently in use". Quite sure Spotify has the same reason.

New music is not an issue, pretty sure of that. Your Spotify clients pull data from the servers interactively, without needing to restart if there's a new album out just a moment ago. tl:dr servers update, change and modify info, clients simply contact with the server to download and play requested data. 🙂

I am entirely not sure if having the client under same user open on 4 machines at once should be a huge issue. Maybe one way is keeping only the necessary clients open, I don't really believe all 4 computers are in use in one day. Opening and logging in is a fast process, should you need to access that on another machine. 🙂

If I misunderstood anything, please let me know!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

No its controlled by multiple people as this is used on a sales floor. Need to keep the energy up beat etc and it means if a song needs to be skipped or changed to another album, etc if one user is not at the desk the next approved user can change it right away.

The main machine is used for our output to the speaker system. Tried the ipad method and it was not liked by the managers.

So yes they want to have the software open at all times.

How about creating a scheduled task that automatically restarts spotify at about 11 pm on every machine?

That is a good idea to look at.

Mainly I want is to see that Spotify support itself says it needs to be restarted daily then I can say to the managers here is your answer and they will take care of the restarting of the software.

I don't think you will get a reply from spotify support. They don't have the time to look after every forum post. For this, you'll have to contact spotify support via mail or twitter.

Anyway, a german judge would say you are using the account in a commercial way, not for private use only. I don't know the legals of your country but i would recommend that you don't tell everyone that you are playing spotify on a sales floor.

Suggested posts